Error on dir renaming 2

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lucefer-AB

Error on dir renaming 2

Post by *Lucefer-AB »

Hi! I have found new "feature" in rc3.
So, I have dir structure:
d:\WORK\AK\FPP\ODBC\OdbcExamples\
d:\WORK\AK\FPP\ODBC\OdbcTest\
and now I need to move all contents of OdbcTest to OdbcExamples
I try to rename (dblclck and change name i.e. inline) OdbcTest to OdbcExamples but receive a warning and get structure:
d:\WORK\AK\FPP\ODBC\OdbcExamples\OdbcTest\
but I need
d:\WORK\AK\FPP\ODBC\OdbcExamples\
only
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Beeing at "d:\WORK\AK\FPP\ODBC\OdbcTest\" you can see all files and maybe folders.

1. Mark all items to move (Ctrl-A or Ctrl-NUM+)
2. press SHIFT-F6 key to rename
3. extend "*.*" with "..\OdbcExamples\*.*
4. Press OK
- done :)
#5767 Personal license
Lucefer-AB

Post by *Lucefer-AB »

sqa_wizard wrote:Beeing at "d:\WORK\AK\FPP\ODBC\OdbcTest" you can see all files and maybe folders.

1. Mark all items to move (Ctrl-A or Ctrl-NUM+)
2. press SHIFT-F6 key to rename
3. extend "*.*" with "..\OdbcExamples\*.*
4. Press OK
- done :)
:O So simple as chineese... :(
First - I have to remember and type outer dir name (where I want to remove file)
Second - I have to delete old dir...

but may be it is the best to repair this "feathure"?
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Lucefer-AB wrote:I try to rename (dblclck and change name i.e. inline) OdbcTest to OdbcExamples
This tells TC to move OdbcTest to OdbcExamples - IMO that's exactly what it does, actually. The directory is moved, resulting in OdbcExamples\OdbcTest.
If you want to move the files inside this dir, you would have to mark these instead before using Shift-F6.

Maybe opening the target directory in the other panel would be easier. Shift-right is enough to do that (if coming from left panel), then you're ready for normal moving (F6).
The history (Alt-left) finally helps to get back to the last directory after copying is done, if desired.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is indeed intentional, and will not be changed. To move the contents of OdbcTest to OdbcExamples, open OdbcTest in one panel and OdbcExamples in the other, and then select all (Shift+End) and move with F6.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lucefer-AB

Post by *Lucefer-AB »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This is indeed intentional, and will not be changed. To move the contents of OdbcTest to OdbcExamples, open OdbcTest in one panel and OdbcExamples in the other, and then select all (Shift+End) and move with F6.
and then go up and delete the empty folder...

Why so difficult?

If I want to move dir-A into dir-B I will just drag-n-drop with rigth mouse button pressed. But if it needed to merge 2 dirs - it will be simple to copy name of one of them and paste as name of the second one. Just some mouse moving, no more. no need to go inside dir and switch panels.