TC7rc4 - "Click on close" popup: debug message?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

marekjed

TC7rc4 - "Click on close" popup: debug message?

Post by *marekjed »

TC7rc4, WinXP Sp2.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Navigate into a zip file.
2. Select a file inside the archive and press Enter to open it in associated application.
3. Close the application, TC is now the focused window.

TC displays the following popup dialog:

Click on Close when the temporary file can be deleted!
Close
F2 Background
(filename here)

I don't understand the purpose of this dialog, but I hope it's only a debug-time behavior. It is really annoying if you spend a lot of time opening files within archives.

Note: this dialog does not pop up if F3 is used to view the file inside the archive, e.g. when TC is integrated with IrfanView. But when the file is opened by pressing enter, the dialog does always pop up, even though the external application is also IrfanView. The behavior is not limited to images though, launching a txt file for example produces the same effect.
No ads, no nags freeware: http://www.tranglos.com
(KeyNote, PhoneDeck, KookieJar, Oubliette)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

marekjed wrote:but I hope it's only a debug-time behavior
No, it's not. Its purpose is to give possiblity of updating files in archives using multi-document editors. If you don't need this feature, set EditWaitTime=-1.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the TC7 beta discussion forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
marekjed

Post by *marekjed »

Flint wrote:
marekjed wrote:but I hope it's only a debug-time behavior
No, it's not. Its purpose is to give possiblity of updating files in archives using multi-document editors. If you don't need this feature, set EditWaitTime=-1.
Thank you for the explanation. Shouldn't the option only be given if the extracted file has changed, though?

I would also suggest rewording the message to make its reason and purpose clearer. I work in software localization so I am no stranger to all kinds of messages, but this terse message really doesn't give much clue. And what does the "Background" button do?
No ads, no nags freeware: http://www.tranglos.com
(KeyNote, PhoneDeck, KookieJar, Oubliette)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

marekjed wrote:Shouldn't the option only be given if the extracted file has changed, though?
This is exactly the root of the problem. How can TC know that the file is changed? For SDI editors it just waits till the editor is closed, then checks if the timestamp of the file being edited changed and, if yes, suggests to update the archive/FTP.

With MDI editors this approach does not work. When TC starts an MDI editor for editing the file, the editor finds another instance of itself, passes the file into that instance and finishes immediately. TC 6.5x in this situation just worked as usual: checked the timestamp (of course, not changed) and stopped waiting. Hence, you edit the file, save it, close the editor, and TC does not ask you to update the archive.

In TC7 the new approach was implemented: if the editor process is finished very quickly, TC thinks it to be an MDI editor. TC cannot detect whether another MDI editor process is working with the file you opened, or have you already finished your work and closed the file (maybe, not closing the editor - it may contain other opened files) etc. So, it allows the user to tell definitely: if he (user) finished work or not. When you press Close in this dialog TC checks the file timestamp and suggests to update the archive if necessary.
marekjed wrote:And what does the "Background" button do?
Try to guess. ;)
This dialog is modal, but the user may want to do something in TC while the file is still being edited. So, this button moves the waiting dialog into background, makes it non-modal.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64