Various suggestions (mostly usability related)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mertner

Various suggestions (mostly usability related)

Post by *mertner »

I've used TC for quite some time, and have been assembling a small list of minor issues I think are worthy of being considered for some future release. I'm not really following the discussions here, so please forgive me if you've debated these elsewhere.

Installation

The installer could use a number of updates:
  • * Display fewer dialogs (they could easily be grouped on a single screen)
    * Better default install folder (e.g. \Program Files\Total Commander)
    * Remember options from last install (as is done with the install folder)
    * Show current location for the "change ini file location" (or don't ask at all)
    * Improved default options (some options seem irrelevant today, like the "show 8.3 files in lowercase"; font settings should be system default rather than custom settings (e.g. no bold); I could come up with a specific list of items if there is interest in my opinion :wink:
Multi-Rename Tool

I'd like to see the following features added to the multi-rename dialog:
  • * Option to keep files after renaming (rather than remove them from the list)
    * Option to not operate on extension (including the dot; primarily for replacing dots with spaces in file names)
Options

The options dialog could also be improved:
  • * Find installed WinRAR, UltraEdit, Notepad2, etc. and offer them as options where relevant (archiver/editor/viewer)
    * Ability to hide individual files/folders (as an alternative to "show hidden files/folders")
    * Move "obsolete" options to less prominent places
Copying/Moving

When doing copy/move operations, I miss the following:
  • * Additional "OK (background)" button on copy/move dialog (in addition to the one on the progress dialog)
    * Ability to pre-select answers for operations after they start (overwrite/skip/etc)
    * Operation should continue with remaining files if waiting for answer from user
Other

Finally, a few general items:
  • * Improved current row indication (if spawning external process, TC window loses focus and I sometimes lose time spotting where the current selection is)
    * File properties (exact size, picture/video info, etc) in hover tooltip would be useful
I'll stop for now, but could probably come up with other suggestions if these are received well. While I wouldn't presume to expect anything, I do hope you'll find them useful one way or another.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for continuing to improve on the absolutely most important tool in my toolbox :D
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2mertner

Welcome mertner!

Well, first it is usually easier to keep track of requests when they are stated in separate posts. Many points usually get lost in such a big list.

And please use the forum search before posting requests. Many of the things you name are already possible (some require TC7 though), or were discussed here before (e.g. the installation folder issue).
* Option to keep files after renaming (rather than remove them from the list)
You can press F5 or click the leftmost button at the bottom to reload the renamed files.
* Ability to hide individual files/folders (as an alternative to "show hidden files/folders")
TC7 has an ignore list for this.
* File properties (exact size, picture/video info, etc) in hover tooltip would be useful
Options > configuration > display > show filename as tooltip > Win32-style tips
You even can use content plugins there for sustom information
Clo

Rules…

Post by *Clo »

2mertner

[mod]Good morning,

• Like StickyNomad points out rightly above (thanks), please post one message per thread¦topic, grouping all isn't helpful at all…

Clo (moderator)
[/mod]
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

And please use the forum before u post many things have allready been discussed like ie "Better default install folder (e.g. \Program Files\Total Commander)".....

You find the Serach under "Suchen" :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
deckard

Post by *deckard »

StickyNomad wrote:
* Option to keep files after renaming (rather than remove them from the list)
You can press F5 or click the leftmost button at the bottom to reload the renamed files.
TC7 has an ignore list for this.
Options > configuration > display > show filename as tooltip > Win32-style tips
You even can use content plugins there for sustom information
Wow, I learned 3 things here, and I've been using TC for... 8 years at least. :)

Also, welcome Mertner! I've also thought about a lot of the things on your list, especially the installer part. Let's hope they'll get implemented!