Best way to use WinACE within TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mcbexx

Post by *mcbexx »

2ghisler:

We did not change the settings at all - in the ACE 2.02 documentation the syntax is described as

Code: Select all

ACE <command> [-<sw1> ...] <archive> [<base_dir>\] [<files>/@<filelist>]
ACE 2.02 just appears to have been quite error tolerant, since it accepted the "twisted" syntax as well.

The common and documented syntax has always been as stated above - and is the common syntax for most compression tools as far as I know. Why you decided to use it the other way around in the first place is beyond me... :D
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

2petergus :
Supported WinAce commands: A D M E X T.
Thanks it works even better, however I think we need a little explanation about this paramaters support, and the "INI" file.

8)
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
JP

Post by *JP »

petergus wrote:
JP wrote:Thanks, but you should, IMHO, modify it a bit. It's always asking for a confirmation...This is bothering...
Fixed!
Supported WinAce commands: A D M E X T.

http://w1.171.telia.com/~u17106176/paramchg.zip - 55 kb

//Peter
Thanks, it works really fine. I hope Christian will modify that in the next TC version (coming soon, I hope :D )
petergus

Post by *petergus »

lzvk25 wrote:Thanks it works even better, however I think we need a little explanation about this paramaters support, and the "INI" file.
About WinAce Commands:
A=Archive files
D=Delete files from archive
M=Move files to archive
E=Extract files (without path)
X=eXtract files (with path)
T=Test files in archive

It's those commands TC supports when working with ACE files.

About INI file:
sfxtype = sfx type: sfx(Console style) or sfx32(Windows style)
ShouldTCWait = If YES, TC wait for Winace to finish. NO means that Winace runs as a normal program, TC can be used while winace is running.

//Peter
DRP535

WinACE *still* doesn't include empty directories in archive

Post by *DRP535 »

Just done a test.

Installed WinACE v2.5. Registered it. Downloaded and implemented the petergus written fix to reverse the order of the command line passing and called WinACE from within TC 5.51.

All works fine except that WinACE still won't include empty directories in the final archive.

This behaviour is the same as that which results when calling the command line version of ACE (v2.04) from within TC. With the command line version, this *only* happens when calling ACE from within TC. Outside TC or from the DOS line inside TC it works as it should but from the ALT-F5 packer window you can forget about any empty directories that might have been there :cry:
petergus

Re: WinACE *still* doesn't include empty directories in arch

Post by *petergus »

DRP535 wrote:All works fine except that WinACE still won't include empty directories in the final archive.
I created a empty directory and that got packed just fine.

//peter
DRP535

Re: WinACE *still* doesn't include empty directories in arch

Post by *DRP535 »

petergus wrote:
DRP535 wrote:All works fine except that WinACE still won't include empty directories in the final archive.
I created a empty directory and that got packed just fine.

//peter
Further testing reveals the following:

-The empty directories on the *first* level are not included.
-The empty subdirectories are included .
-The "empty" directories with one empty subdirectory are included
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 30-08-2003 04:26:19 +0000 petergus wrote:

p> This is a small program that swap winace parameters TC is
p> sending, making multiple disk archive and self extracting
p> ACE working!

TC has the same problems with console ACE32.EXE (v. 2.04), so I tried to use your program with it (of course paramchg.exe declines to work with ACE32.EXE, so I rename it to WinAce.exe :).

First of all it doesn't add empty folders - I packed folder with empty subfolder (Long name folder\Empty Folder\) and "Empty Folder" was absent in created archive.

Second, it removes spaces from archive names (and passed paths), so "Long name folder.ace" turns into "Longnamefolder.ace" - Commander just recently got rid from this "pleasant feature".

Third, it does solve SFX problem, though I changed "sfx32" to "sfxGUI.SFX" in paramchg.ini to make it works (I don't know what syntax WinAce uses for SFX, but ACE32.EXE asks for complete SFX module name after "-sfx" parameter).

Well, after all I like the idea of this tool and waiting for ACE32.EXE "natural" support :).[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 6.0 will switch the parameters by itself, so the problem should be solved without this tool.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC 6.0 will switch the parameters by itself, so the problem should be solved without this tool.
Any chance of fixing the little "bytes vs kilobytes" bug in the window that asks to specify what size volumes to make when creating multi-volume archives as well at the same time?
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

ShouldTCWait = If YES, TC wait for Winace to finish. NO means that Winace runs as a normal program, TC can be used while winace is running.

//Peter

Anyone know if it's possible to have this feature configurable for WinRAR as well? ie. I'd like to minimise the WinRAR activity and still be able to use the existing TC session for other things instead of having to open up another one or having to sit there staring at "Files are being packed, please wait..."
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

be able to use the existing TC session for other things instead of having to open up another one or having to sit there staring at "Files are being packed, please wait..."
For the time being you can press Esc...

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 11-09-2003 22:16:43 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> TC 6.0 will switch the parameters by itself, so the problem
g> should be solved without this tool.

OK, and what about empty folders?
I just have found another problem - under TC ACE do not add folders (only folders, not files) with Russian names to archive (ACE32.EXE).
BTW, if I use TC combo to make SFX with console ACE (ACE32.EXE) it adds build-in console SFX module. Of course it's not a big deal to type "-sfxgui.sfx" in "Pack files" if I want to use GUI.SFX, but I think it would be a good idea to add "Default SFX" field in "Pack files" dialog (at least for RAR and ACE), what do you think?[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2003-09-13, 16:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Hacker wrote:
be able to use the existing TC session for other things instead of having to open up another one or having to sit there staring at "Files are being packed, please wait..."
For the time being you can press Esc...

HTH
Roman
Oh cool!! Thanks for that. Geezzzz I love this forum, I learn something new everytime I visit it.

Maybe you can help with teaching me one other new thing which has been bothering me since dinosaurs roamed the Earth... what does HTH stand for?
Leif

Post by *Leif »

DRP535 wrote:Maybe you can help with teaching me one other new thing which has been bothering me since dinosaurs roamed the Earth... what does HTH stand for?
HTH = Hope this helps

:lol:

Edited:
Visit http://www.acronymfinder.com