[Solved!] Configurable file list line height

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CoMiKe

[Solved!] Configurable file list line height

Post by *CoMiKe »

As said on this thread, there's no way to set the file list line spacing on Total Commander.

I think the default line spacing is very low, and it makes difficult to read the contents of the file list panels.

I know there's a workaround to raise the line spacing by raising the file list icon size, but then the icons look distorted, as seen on the following fake picture:
TC Line Spacing comparison

In the left panel, you can see the default look with 16x16 pixel icons. There's little line spacing and (IMHO) it's harder to read.

In the right panel, I have raised the icon size to 17x17. Line spacing looks fine, but icons get distorted (you can noticed it on icon borders, check the folder icons and the icon for ffdshow.ax).

Would it be possible to add an option to raise the line spacing without raising the icon size, so icons don't get distorted?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by CoMiKe on 2008-04-25, 12:26 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I strongly support this. Just a little thing like one extra pixel would relax the appearance and make TC seem so much more attractive.

Even in file managers, the subliminal, "just below the edge of consciousness" things make a bigger difference than you might expect.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Clo

Auto---

Post by *Clo »

2JohnFredC

:) Hello John !

• I support too !

• However, it could be possible (perhaps…) to set automatically the spacing like :

Code: Select all

Line Spacing=Icon Height+n... (pixel¦s)
which should lead to get an INI entry like :
IconMargingInLists=n… (pixel¦s)

• Well, you could say it's the same, but in that way, it could be experienced in a next version as hard-coded with, let's say, one pixel at the top and one pixel at the bottom as margins to get a clue of the result…

Aside : The way to paint the icons having customized sizes has been improved a lot in 7.0x for the buttons of the bars, but not for the icons in the lists - although that seems possible too using the same function…

- I use my 21² personal icons in the lists, and I can say that they are far to be rendered like they would… :|
- I draw these icons in fact as ~19² motives plus top¦bottom transparent 1-pixel margins, but these margins are totally blurry because an innoportune double resizing and don't bring a clearer display as expected…
  IMAGE. The green frame¦lines on real icons are the transparent margins…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2007-05-31, 16:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Hello !
Another often requested feature are grid lines.
If there would be a Ini -setting for gridlines, there could be an option to use the same background colours 1/2 (transparent) for to raise the height, without rescaling the filelist -icons.

Anyway, I would like to see one or two extra pixels in the file list line spacing too.
My support for this new feature!
Clo

Nope

Post by *Clo »

2Stance

:) Hello !

• This had been proposed in several ways here and in the private tests forum too…

- I found a workaround to see “pseudo grid lines” (as a third BG-colour), but none has been considered. :(
  VERY OLD IMAGE… (November, 10th. 2005…)

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I think the default line spacing is very low
Well, TC uses the line spacing which the fonts tell you you should use...

I agree that a separately configurable line height is a good idea. I will add it to my wish list.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

I agree that a separately configurable line height is a good idea
That's ideed better than configurable extra pixels!

Thanks for your support!
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

support ++
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)
I agree that a separately configurable line height is a good idea. I will add it to my wish list.
Very nice! :)
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Cough, cough...

Sorry to refloat this, but I think a list of what has been suggested as new features should be available on a sticky post, as a reference for users, and even for Mr. Ghisler...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support++

(just to bump the wish)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Bump!, shake, shake, shake the room... :D

Now that a new TC version seems closer, perhaps it's a good time to bump some old suggestions like this one.

The other feature I would like to see implemented is about new splitter commands, but I don't feel like bumping another old thread and winning a ban: :)

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=140669
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Great, great!!

The feature has been implemented on TC v7.03!! And here is a fake screenshot showing the great difference of the default line height (on the left) and a line height increased by two pixels (on the right, MinLineHeight=-2).

Image: http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2195/tclineheightzi1.gif

I think the MinLineHeight should default to -2 on next TC versions, as it looks A LOT better and renders the interface much more readable and comfortable, but I don't really mind. I've changed the default setting and it's just working for me!

Thanks a lot, Mr. Ghisler, for this little addition but great feature!!
MiloW

Post by *MiloW »

Sorry for bumping up but can anyone tell me where to put this line? What file do I edit to edit this padding or line width or whatever?
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

As decribed in help: in [Configuration] section in main INI file (check "Help" - "About" for it's location).