wcRES

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

wcRES

Post by *Lefteous »

I tested the wcRES-plugin. Congratulations to the author, great work!
When associating the plugin with exe and or dll files starting programs in TC becomes quite difficult. Any ideas? An english readme could be useful.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

How do you have installed the plugin?
I have like this:
exe=256,D:\Program Files\wincmd\Packer\wcres.wcx
and it works ok. I mean it browses resources via Ctrl+PageDown and runs the program with ENTER.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2djk

thank you, it works fine now.
Is there any way to install such a plugin without editing the ini file manually? In my opinion a configuration where I have to know the meaning of a a bitmask is not very userfriendly.
I installed the plugin using the user interface. The result was the following:

exe=79,mypath\wcres.wcx

I don't know much about Packer plugins. How are these values determined by TC?
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Look here:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=9256#9256

I don't think it's possible to do it other way, you must do it manually.
Maybe it's possible to force it by author of the plugin but I don't know it.
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

if I have a self extracting archive (tcmd551.exe for example) how can view the contents of the archive? :?
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Well :-)
If you have installed also wcRES the only way is probably to rename temporarily the archiwum to e.g. tcmd551.ex_ and press Ctrl+PageDown.
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

As far as I know you can do that by pressing Ctrl+PageDown without the need of having a plugin installed and without the need for renaming the executable file. The function is build-in in TC which triggers automatically if the file is an archive one.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

pdavit wrote:As far as I know you can do that by pressing Ctrl+PageDown without the need of having a plugin installed and without the need for renaming the executable file. The function is build-in in TC which triggers automatically if the file is an archive one.
Good morning!

Please read the whole thread!
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

Have you guys found any improvement using the wcRES plugins instead of the Far2wc plugin together with the FAR-ResBrowser ?

Using that last option doesn't give the problems with sfx archives. On the other hand, that also means you can't extract resource out of them too...

AFAIK
- wcRES does show ICONS in packed exe's (for example totalcmd.exe) what Resbrowser doesn't
- wcRES show the ICON_GROUP as html file.

Here is an automatic translation of the readme.html
wcres.wcx
The Vegetable garden I.M. iogorodov@mail.ru
1. Introduction
wcres.wcx allows to view, modify and delete the facility in PE32 file (*.exe, *.dll, and etc.). Each resource можут to be presented as in binary format (as in file), so and in преобразованом to more accustomed type (the scene in format BMP, file of the resource (*.rc) and etc.).

The Possibility of the modification and removing resource available only under Windows NT/2000/XP.

2. Installation
wcres.wcx is executed in the manner of additional module to Windows Commander/Total Commander so his(its) installation is concluded in simple collecting with shall dress or several types of the files. When use with Windows Commander exist some nuances:
- simply with extension "exe" you can not, since hereon start the program from Windows Commander will is labored (but it you it is necessary?);
- a files PE32 can have a different extensions, occasionly the most impossible;
- but Ctrl+PgDn does not work with подклчаемыми packer (such as in FAR). This possibility appeared In Total Commander so all that is written above already not currently.
In view of the whole this my advice: involve with some one extension (for instance "pe") and rename or copy the files.

3. In Functioning
Each resource is presented by one file. The Full way (относитьльно root PE32 file) contains information on type of the resource, his(its) language and his(its) name: Resource_Type\Resource_Language\Resource_Name. If it is used transformation and given resource can be transformed then to name will is added corresponding to extension. When packing presence extensions show on need of the reconversion and if transformation to manage, extension will not be used. From the last phrase follows:
- for modification of the resource you may use the binary format, but at filename must strictly correspond to the name ресура;
- if reconversions have occurred the error a resource will be recorded in nonreformed variant (in this случаее possible presence two resources with "alike" name: the first name from old resource + extension from transformation, the second name: that was запакованно (the extension - in so far as since)).

For unhooking the transformation is used SCROLL LOCK. Under included SCROLL LOCK transformation is not executed.

Predestined types are presented in following format .RT_*. In привиденной below table is specified what types can be transformed and what extensions will herewith are given:

Type Extension Description
RT_CURSOR CUR Cursors 1
RT_BITMAP BMP Scenes
RT_ICON ICO Icons 1
RT_MENU RC Standard скрипт resource 2
RT_DIALOG RC Standard скрипт resource 2
RT_STRING RC Standard скрипт resource 2
RT_RCDATA DFM From all possible resource for forms Borland only 3
RT_GROUP_CURSOR HTM Short information on resource 4
RT_ICON_CURSOR HTM Short information on resource 4

The Remark: Windows Commnder, to all appearances, uses caching for contents of the archive, because of what can appear the problems when enabling/switching off the transformation (the name of the files will take from кэша, but such files already not will).

The Remark: At удаленни all resource given type impossible "to rise" on level above.

4. License
This program is liberally распростроняеммой at observance of the following conditions:
- she can be not used for modification of the programs if this is forbidden corresponding to license agreements
- a program is delivered "as-there is", author does not carry responsibility for losses got as a result of use of this program

5. History
Version 1.0.1.1

[+] For correct work with forms from Delphi 6.0 and C++ Builder 6.0, плагин was перекомпилированн under Delphi 6.0 (глядишь somehow hands and before 7.0 will reach)

Version 1.0.1.0

[+] Is Added functions for work with Total Commander to possible was gain access to resource on Ctrl+PgDn

Version 1.0.0.109

[+] First working issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Budte neat with change cursor and icon, information on he are kept in RT_GROUP_CURSOR and RT_GROUP_ICON accordingly. When change the cursor or icons is updated only resource from RT_CURSOR or RT_ICON their descriptions do not change. In other words new cursor or icon must have such parameters, as aging (the width, height, amount colour).

2 In principle скрипты resource you may change in any соответсвующем editor, but some of they use the constants (given version absolutely will not die with them to work) so exists probability that back to place the modified resource not to manage.

3 Delphi 6 Were used When compiling so when work with the forms from Delphi 7 can be a problems.

4 This HTML is given only for familiarization if you want to modify the resource, that necessary to use the binary format.

YAndeks.Mail
...BRB...
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Lefteous wrote:Please read the whole thread!
I didn't make a random post!

Lack of detailed information results in inaccurate suggestions!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
nyam

Work when you only press Ctrl+PgDn

Post by *nyam »

Nice plugin! Great! :)
It will be very useful. Thank you! :)

If you edit some bytes,
the plugin works when you only press Ctrl+PgDn.

Try this:
http://yaeun.skku.ac.kr/~nyam/Download/wcres.wcx
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2nyam

As djk described above you can change your INI-file to this:
exe=256,D:\Program Files\wincmd\Packer\wcres.wcx

A fine solution until you want to open a self extracting archive...
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

I have installed it without editing ini file: I used the '.dll' extension. Like this, there is no problem with exe files.
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I compared the following TC 5.51 executable variations:

1. Uncompressed
2. Aspacked (official distributable)
3. UPX packed (I used the uncompressed version to create it)

The resources of 1. and 2. seem to be identical. The resources extracted from the UPX packed one are just a small subset. Is this a wcRES or UPX problem?
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Does any one have a link to this plug-in?