[REQ] wcx_ftp.ini encryption

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

Support
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I'm currently testing the Windows Crypto API.
To save the passwords with encryption for Blat Mailer and MKS Source Integrity plugins I use the Crypto API, too. Will the master password for encryption of FTP passwords be configurable by the user or set by TC?
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
timsky

Post by *timsky »

I think it should be configurable by the user.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

As I know windows crypto API is weak.
This is NOT true in general. It has been weak in old versions of Windows (9x/ME) without the later versions of Internet Explorer, but newer versions support triple DES, and even AES on WinXP and Vista...
Will the master password for encryption of FTP passwords be configurable by the user or set by TC?
Of course it has to be configured by the user. The user will need to type it in every time a stored password is used (it may be remembered for a certain time). Otherwise if the password would be stored, then not only TC could decrypt it, but also any other program too...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
timsky

Post by *timsky »

2ghisler(Author) How soon can you add this feature?
AES encryption would be better :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

AES encryption would be better
Why?
You would be limited to use your passwords on XP and Vista PCs only.

3Des is 168 bits encryption. If you use normal characters in lowercase and uppercase A-Z, a-z plus the digits 0-9 and 2 other characters for your password, one character of that password will give you only 6 bits of strength. To reach the strength of 3DES, you password (or better, pass phrase) would have to be 28 characters long! A normal password of 8 characters would give you only 48 bit strength! Therefore it doesn't make much sense to use 256 bit AES in this case...
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:3Des is 168 bits encryption.
Effectively 112.
Even though AES is considered safer, there was no news about money loss caused by it's "weakness", 3DES is 2^56 times more secure. Enough for me.
I think that compatibility with older windows versions is more important than pushing already good security a bit farther.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's 112 bits when you use it with two different DES keys: Encrypt with first, decrypt with second, encrypt again with first. Microsoft supports both variations, the one with two DES keys (112 bits), and the one with 3 DES keys (168 bits).
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's 112 bits when you use it with two different DES keys: Encrypt with first, decrypt with second, encrypt again with first. Microsoft supports both variations, the one with two DES keys (112 bits), and the one with 3 DES keys (168 bits).
wikipedia wrote:In general TDES with three different keys (3TDES) has a key length of 168 bits: three 56-bit DES keys (with parity bits 3TDES has the total storage length of 192 bits), but due to the meet-in-the-middle attack the effective security it provides is only 112 bits[/url]
timsky

Post by *timsky »

2 ghisler(Author) Can user decide which encryption algorythm to use? I prefer AES :) Somebody who use non XP or Vista will choose 3DES.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will consider that.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Support++ again, for possibility to use AES.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
timsky

Post by *timsky »

2ghisler(Author)
Mmm.... is there any progress? :)
cos

Post by *cos »

No support.

Why would ANY one want to hide a ftp connection, and if password is so sensitive, just don't save it.

Actually i want an option that stores and shows the password in PLAIN :)

I have no secrets, just working with so many ftp accounts and i need to pass them over to customers as well as to my colleagues it's so unpleasant to always use Snadboy's revelation to reveal it.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

cos wrote:Why would ANY one want to hide a ftp connection
Not FTP connection, but its password.
cos wrote:and if password is so sensitive, just don't save it.
And remember several dozens of different 10-character length passwords for different servers? Isn't it easier to remember one password for encrypted wcx_ftp.ini?
cos wrote:I have no secrets
... but not I. I don't want my web-site to be opened for modifying by every person all over the Internet. A little bit strange, huh? :lol:
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64