file operations - leave questions to the end!

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

McVitas

file operations - leave questions to the end!

Post by *McVitas »

Hello, I consider this a must have function which would save so much time and nerves!
Imagine you are transfering large amount of data because of system migration of whatever. You start copying or moving of many folders and go away for half a day thinking that it will be done when you return. You get back and WTH! Copying stopped on some stupid question like "cannot read this one file", skip? Half a day wasted because the operation just couldn't continue because of one totally unimportant problem!

So my suggestion is very simple: don't pause the operation when some problem is encountered! Just continue with the rest which does not have a problem and just queue up the prompts for the user to interact when he gets to it. This way everything that has no problem would be done and all those "are you sure" or "skip" type of prompts would not stop it.
There could be some global option to enable/disable this like "don't pause file operation on error/questions"
Typical example when moving a folder with photos: are you sure to delete hidden file thumbs.db? Jeez that file is there since Windows XP and it's absolutely not important even though it's hidden, so any questions about it can be automatically answered yes ;-)
Hacker

Re: file operations - leave questions to the end!

Post by *Hacker »

McVitas,
Uhh, that's already implemented?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2McVitas
TC should already be doing that if SkippedFileCopy=1 (default):
Help wrote:SkippedFileCopy=1 1: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
0: Copy all files in order, ask for confirmation when needed
>=100: Like 1, but sets number of milliseconds at start during which the user will be asked too (default 5000)
You might have to supplemet that with LongNameCopy=1 (not default):
Help wrote:LongNameCopy=0 During file operations, warn if target name is longer than 259 characters:
0=always
1=never
2=if source name isn't longer than 259 characters
3=disallow long names
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
McVitas

Post by *McVitas »

Sorry but what are you talking about, where should I put these parameters?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2McVitas
Sorry but what are you talking about, where should I put these parameters?
In the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file - be aware whether these parameters aren't already there (with other values).

You can find the location of your wincmd.ini file via Menu -> "Help" - "About Total Commander". The Help item is to the far right in the menu bar.

Or type:

Code: Select all

cd %COMMANDER_INI%
in TC's command line and press Enter - that wil take you directly to your current wincmd.ini file.

Or you can use Menu -> "Configuration" -> "Changes Settings Files Directly", That will open wincmd.ini in NotePad (notice it also opens your wcx_ftp.ini files).

Remember to restart TC after changing the wincmd.ini file - for the changes to take effect.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
McVitas

Post by *McVitas »

Well, this is not very user friendly if I need to look for and edit some INI file...
I suggest just add this into normal GUI settings in next version please. Not many people are power users.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2McVitas
There are 527 settings in the [Configuration] section alone - they can not all go in the GUI settings.

LongNameCopy could benefit from being put in the GUI - since the default setting does not disable warnings.

SkippedFileCopy's default setting should satisfy most users that can wait 5 seconds before they leave the copy/move/delete process to run unattended.
License #524 (1994)
McVitas

Post by *McVitas »

My SkippedFileCopy parameter was set to 4000, but I don't understand how it should work. When I was copying around 1.3TB from old hdd to new one it was stopped on a message can't read a file (maybe because of AV locking it or whatever) and DID NOT continue with the rest.