Copying to CD

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

parsec

Copying to CD

Post by *parsec »

Using Win98SE and TC 6.51. To backup my C and D partitions, I format the CD using Adaptec DirectCD 3.05 and start copying directories and files from the hard drive to the CD. When the CD is about half full, the computer totally locks, and my only recourse is to turn off the computer, restart and remove the CD while restart is proceeding. If I reinsert the CD, the system is immediately totally locked. This problem is NOT present if I do the same thing using Windows Explorer, but I would prefer to use TC.

Any suggestions? Don't tell me to change operating system - I have tried them all and am not interested.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It seems that DirectCD doesn't like when TC writes to the CD with WriteFile. Unfortunately you cannot even use compatibility mode because Win9x doesn't support the function CopyFileEx.

So your only solution is to use the Explorer copy method also in Total Commander: Ctrl+C Tab Ctrl+V (copy+paste).

You can also make this mode the standard for F5 in Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
parsec

Post by *parsec »

Thank you for the quick response. I checked "Use copy+paste via Explorer ..." in Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete.
parsec

Post by *parsec »

The procedure I tried (above) doesn't work - still locks the computer before both partitions are copied and the CD is less than full.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, copy+paste uses the exact same copy functions as the Explorer, so I don't see any reasons why it should work in Explorer and fail in TC now...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
parsec

Post by *parsec »

Thanks - the only difference was I used F5 instead of drag-and-drop. I've never had a problem with relatively small files and directories, only when I get up around 400MB on the CD do I get in trouble. I will just use Explorer to make my monthly backups - no problem.