Queue copy created directory instead of the file

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sparhawk

Queue copy created directory instead of the file

Post by *sparhawk »

This was quite a strange bug, I experienced yesterday. It never happened before, so I don't know how it happened or how to reproduce it. I just wanted to mention it, in case others might also have seen this.

I copied some file over a network share using F5-F2 with the cursor on the file, to copy it via the queue. What happened in this particular instance was, that the file was not copied as a file. Instead a directory was created on the target path, with the name of the file that I actually wanted to copy, and all files from the path where the original files was located, were copied to that target.

I tried to reroduce it somehow but it didn't work so far. I also checked if I might have accidentely created that directory myself by pressing F7 before somhow, but when I use F7 to create a new directory, then the name of the file under the cursor would be used, but the extension is ommited, so it is also unlikely that it happened that way.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC will create a directory if it cannot find the source (FindFirstFile returns "directory" or "error"). Maybe the file was moved or renamed before it could be copied.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sparhawk

Post by *sparhawk »

No, this was definitely not the case. After I selected the file again, it worked fine. Maybe it was locked for some reason. That could explain the behaviour according to what you say.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC calls FindFirstFile to determine the file type, so this should work independent from whether it's locked or not...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sparhawk

Post by *sparhawk »

Yeah, well, then I don't know. As I said above, I experienced this only once in all the years that I'm using TC now, and I wanted to report it just in case others might also have seen this.

It's not really tragic. If it happens again, I can see if I find some tracks as to how this happened.