7.5 proposed and still no "Undo"?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Tahattmeruh wrote:Sometimes i move a folder with drag and drop by accident and i have to search all folders where i put the other one in.
Well, this has happened to me too, numerous times. Certainly an undo would be appreciated in such situations.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

TCLogfileViewer 0.1.Rev2 with Undo feature

Post by *van Dusen »

More than a year ago I began to write (to script with AutoIt3) a viewer for TC's logfiles. I've stopped the further development when AlexTP has released his LogViewer. Now I make up my mind to publish my poor efforts. I've added language support and limited support for UTF-8 encoded logfiles (created by TC V7.5 or later).

If you like to try it even though it contains many bugs, you can download it here:

TCLogfileViewer 0.1.Rev2

Syntax: TCLogfileViewer.exe [/All|0|1|{n}]

TotalCommander should run, when you start TCLogfileViewer.
TCLogfileViewer 0.1.Rev2 uses SQLite for storing the logfile information.
* Calling it without any parameter or calling it with parameter "1" will create the database in memory and only reads the most recent (the current) logfile. In this case the database is dropped, when you exits TCLogfileViewer.
* Calling it with parameter "/All" or with parameter "0" will create (or update) the database "TCLogfileViewer.db" in the directory, where your TC logfiles are stored; all logfiles, which are found, will be added to the database.

Features:

* Undo function for some (not all) operations. Successfully revoked operations will be logged in TC's current logfile
* Realtime monitoring of changes in current logfile ("follow tail")
* Filter for logfile name, date and time, operation, operation status, source and target. Filter works like AutoFilter in MS Excel
* Sorting ascending / descending of one or more columns (just click at the listview header)
* Search function
* Export filtered logfile entries to an textfile

Please note, that the column names from language key 1 in <TCLogfileViewer.ini> are not only affects the GUI (labels for filter comboboxes, listview headers), but also defines the field names in the database. If you change the language setting, an already existing database will be no longer useful... Bad design, I know. Please choose the column names in language key 1 "database friendly".
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

@van Dusen
I've problems to download it from rapidshare.
It would be easier if you share it on totalcmd.net.
Clo

Transmission----

Post by *Clo »

2van Dusen

:) Hello !

• [OT]
I've to transmit you a message from icfu :
… i have removed his autoit collection archive from my thread in the EFB forum
[/OT]

:mrgreen:  VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Transmission----

Post by *m^2 »

Clo wrote:2van Dusen

• [OT]
I've to transmit you a message from icfu :
… i have removed his autoit collection archive from my thread in the EFB forum
[/OT]

:mrgreen:  VG
Claude
Clo
[OT]
BTW how about icfu? I haven't seen him for long here and didn't see any "good bye" either. Did he left permanently, temporarily, or just stays quiet? Do you have any info?
[/OT]
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Tahattmeruh wrote:..i move a folder with drag and drop by accident and i have to search all folders where i put the other one in.
wanderer wrote:this has happened to me too, numerous times. Certainly an undo would be appreciated in such situations.
I don't think drag and drop accidents are a strong reason for having an undo-function.
It's a dreadful concept in the first place, asking for trouble and should be avoided if possible.
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

Horst.Epp wrote:I've problems to download it from rapidshare.
Sorry for that inconvenience. I've uploaded it now additionally to
http://www.filedropper.com/tclogfileviewer01rev2
and to
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ba594b/n/TCLogfileViewer_0_1_Rev2_zip

Horst.Epp wrote:It would be easier if you share it on totalcmd.net.
Some time ago I read somewhere, that Ergo don't like to host stuff, which is expected to have only a few downloads. Normally my scripts / tools were downloaded less than 10 times (rapidshare had provided a download counter in former times), so that they are not qualified for totalcmd.net.

2Clo

Thank you for the information.
Clo

Via ICQ---

Post by *Clo »

2m^2

[OT]
BTW how about icfu?…
• I guess you could contact him via ICQ… ;)
[/OT]

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Sam_Zen wrote:It's a dreadful concept in the first place, asking for trouble and should be avoided if possible.
I don't know about that. We're humans and to be human means to make mistakes. I've found undo pretty useful in Word, Excel, text editors, Devel environments, etc. Why would it be dreadful in a file manager? Granted it may not be so easy to implement as some would like to believe but IMO it would be useful if implemented in a smart way.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

@van Dusen
Thanks for the alternate download sources.

I tried to undo a simple rename but it doesn't work.
It looks like the script goes into Pause mode.
There are no errors shown and nothing is added to the logfile.

The entry from the logfile I tried to undo is:
08.12.2008 12:45:15: Move: c:\temp\SAMClientError.log -> c:\temp\SAMClientErrorxx.log

Also it sizes its window in a strange way so that I can't reach the top or bottom of it until I maximize it from the task bar.
I'm using 1024 x 768 screen resolution
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

2 wanderer
I'm human so I try to avoid mistakes.
TC is much more than a filemanager, with all kinds of tasks and options, so it would be indeed very complicated to implement an undo function, covering all that's going on.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Sam_Zen wrote:it would be indeed very complicated to implement an undo function
Ok, being complicated is different than dreadful. I too agree it will not be easy to implement but in some cases it would be useful. In other cases it will simply be impossible (files that have been overwritten for instance). I think it would be nice to be considered as a wish for a future version, at least the simple parts that can be implemented (moving files around without anything being overwritten, restoring last "delete to recycle-bin" action, etc).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I think a third party effort such as van Dusen's is the right approach.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Agreed. So one has the choice of implementing it, depending on the nature of the personal TC use.