BTM suggestions

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

BTM suggestions

Post by *MVV »

Hi, I have some ideas about background transfer manager.

Firsf of all, it will be logically to use Delete key to remove items (maybe with confirmation). And I think Insert key is a good key for inserting new tasks in list. Hotkey for pause also welcomes.

Then, if first item is not movable anytime, why it is impossible to sort other items while first is copied/moved? Why it is necessary to pause transfers?

BTW, I think it is strange why closing BTM window causes to stop only active transfer, while second trying to close window causes to clear queue fully. Maybe it will be more logically to ask about cancelling transfers (cancell current/all or just hide BTM window)?

And last suggestion. While copying/moving folders, it is very uncomfortable to see operation progress. I think it is better to show full task progress instead of per-file progress, and to show filenames with relative paths (i.e. not 03-Good_Day.mp3 but Best_Hits_2000\03-Good_Day.mp3).

thanx for attention.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

use Delete key to remove items ... Insert key is a good key for inserting new tasks in list
Support for both.
if first item is not movable anytime, why it is impossible to sort other items while first is copied/moved? Why it is necessary to pause transfers?
Other files may be first file a second later (depending on file size and transfer speed).
To ensure that order stays valid during reordering process the transfer has to be stopped.
#5767 Personal license
Aleksio

Re: BTM suggestions

Post by *Aleksio »

MVV wrote:it will be logically to use Delete key to remove items (maybe with confirmation)
A confirmation dialog is a big error from point of usability:!:. "Undo" should be used instead.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

sqa_wizard wrote:Other files may be first file a second later (depending on file size and transfer speed).
To ensure that order stays valid during reordering process the transfer has to be stopped.
I don't see a trouble. If you want you may pause process and sort items.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

I don't see a trouble.
The trouble is with the index.

e.g.
you drag the item 6 out of ten to pos 3
while dragging, the first item gets finished
list is refreshed and list items get new indexes
you see the refresh and put it on pos 2 instead
item gets inserted at pos 2
item at pos 6 is deleted ... bang !
? pos 6 ?
original pos 6 got pos 5 due to refresh... original pos 7 got pos 6 now and is deleted instead of your dragged item :(
#5767 Personal license
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

sqa_wizard wrote:
I don't see a trouble.
The trouble is with the index.

e.g.
you drag the item 6 out of ten to pos 3
while dragging, the first item gets finished
list is refreshed and list items get new indexes
you see the refresh and put it on pos 2 instead
item gets inserted at pos 2
item at pos 6 is deleted ... bang !
? pos 6 ?
original pos 6 got pos 5 due to refresh... original pos 7 got pos 6 now and is deleted instead of your dragged item :(
Understood. But we are talking about sorting items, not deleting. BTW it is possible to ignore drag-and-drop if some item(s) are finished during dragging. When first list item is removed, other just moved up, no deleting last item may occur.
My opinion is let user to decide, toggle pause or not when sorting. If you want to sort on pause - your wish. If I want to move an item w/o pausing - my wish. :)