operations in tabs

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jubilee

operations in tabs

Post by *jubilee »

hi

i am new to total commander and i want to ask if it is possible to implement some features in tc like:

1. ftp put in list of drives (alt+f1, alt+f2)
2. put the following operations in a background tab not in a different window (copy, move, archive operations) - like in speed commander

thanks
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: operations in tabs

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, jubilee.
1. ftp put in list of drives (alt+f1, alt+f2)
Any open FTP connection will be shown inside the drive drop down list (alt+f1, alt+f2) as 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. Haven't you noticed? Or what else do you have in mind?
2. put the following operations in a background tab not in a different window (copy, move, archive operations) - like in speed commander
The background transfer manager is not good enough? Or did you not know that you can send quite a few file operations to background threads?

Kind regards,
Karl
jubilee

Post by *jubilee »

the background manager is fine but sometime all my task bar is filled with tc threads

and i think that is more efficient for the operations to be executed in a single interface

second, when you unpack files from an archive, withe the plugins (zip, rar) you can't work in tc till the operations is not finished

regards
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

jubilee wrote:the background manager is fine but sometime all my task bar is filled with tc threads
I see your point. Yet, only Christian will be able to tell whether your request can and will be implemented.
second, when you unpack files from an archive, withe the plugins (zip, rar) you can't work in tc till the operations is not finished
This is true for a number of unpackers and plugins which are considered "not thread safe". Such unpackers / plugins will not be sent to the background.

By the way, I do not quite understand which plugins may be needed to unpack ZIP archives. T.C. can handle ZIP archives internally.
The situation may be a bit different in T.C. 7.04a with respect to multi-volume RAR-files. For RAR-files, it may be helpful/necessary to use fhRAR sometimes.

Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

My problem with this solution is that other modal dialogs will prevent the user from accessing background tasks (which doesn't happen with separate windows)...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com