[REQ] Find duplicates by wdx plugin

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] Find duplicates by wdx plugin

Post by *m^2 »

Sometimes duplicate files don't have the same contents. Example might be music files with the same song. Would be good if finding duplicates supported wdx interface. Best with support for reg exps over multiple fields, like in MRT.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Have you tried using a wdx plugin with the find duplicates - it actually works.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Could you tell me how?
If I select "Search for duplicates", TC insists to check for either the same name or the same size.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Ah! I didn't know the names would be different for your files - I thought you wanted to find files with the same name AND tags - ruling out same names but with different tags.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Well, I wasn't specific enough...
But anyway, it's very far from what MRT can do.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

In a discussion in another place there was some misunderstanding of what do I propose, so some explanation, more detailed and hopefully more clear:

If a plugin returns "a" for 2 files, then the files are the same in the meaning of the plugin. If it returns "b" for other 2 files, these are the same too.
If a plugin returns ft_nofield for 2 files then they are the same for it as well.
User might want to find all files that are the same according to a rule, not only the ones that have value "a".

Real world example: the same song encoded twice has the same tags, but totally different binary representation. The same with images. I can imagine somebody who needs to find different versions of the same file, which (depending on naming policy) might have only extension and some values readable by wdx in common.

I propose that user creates a MRT - like string (i.e. [=exif.Width]x[=exif.Height]) and optionally a regular expression for it. When the parsed string is the same for 2 files, they are considered the same.