search directory a la Firefox

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lb

search directory a la Firefox

Post by *lb »

a nice feature would be a mechanism to quickly find files similar to the firefox "find in page" function. As you type letters the browser jumps to the best match, pressing return gets you to the subsequent match.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2lb
It's been here for a while.

Just take a look on Configuration -> Operation -> Quick Search -> Letters with search dialog.

You can jump to next item by pressing down arrow.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I guess " Letters with search dialo" should be made the new default setting. Users asking for this every day.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I thought about this too, but then some other people may complain that they cannot type into the command line any more. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Well it's always a tradeoff and in this case a change would be an imporvement.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe we should make a poll?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Maybe we should make a poll?
Maybe. For me the default should be ALT+Letter. I don't believe there will be many users who like the current default (CTRL+ALT+Letter) though.
ghisler(Author) wrote:I thought about this too, but then some other people may complain that they cannot type into the command line any more. :(
Probably. I know i would. :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

wanderer wrote:Maybe. For me the default should be ALT+Letter. I don't believe there will be many users who like the current default (CTRL+ALT+Letter) though.
It might be problematic in two cases:
- national characters,
- menu shortcuts use Alt+letter scheme.

Poll might be OK.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

fenix_productions wrote:- menu shortcuts use Alt+letter scheme.
I know. One can just press and release Alt though (or F9 or F10) to activate the menus and then press the menu letter he wishes to open. Perhaps a parallel poll could be made, with a more general question, like "What action would you prefer ALT+letter to perform by default" / open menu item / quick-find. It might be interesting to see what key combination users prefer to perform quicksearch.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I think the point is that new users who used other file managers before all expect that quick search works without modifiers because quick search in all other popular file managers works without modifiers.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Lefteous wrote:I think the point is that new users who used other file managers before
Are you assuming that most new users have used other file managers before turning to TC? What about new users who have used only Explorer? ;)

Anyway, i get the point. For me, it's more important to be able to directly type a command in the command-line rather that quick-search.

In a browser, i can understand direct letter typing to act as quicksearch. It would be more frequent for a user to perform search in the current web page than to type a new URL for instance. For that, he would probably open a new tab.

TC is a file manager though so (IMO) it's more likely for a user to need to type commands in the command line than perform a direct quicksearch. This is subjective though. Others might feel differently. A poll would certainly help to gather statistics on that.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Explorer is of course the most popular file manager and part of "the others".

I don't know if a poll would help here. We need to find the best default not the preferred setting of regular forum posters.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2Lefteous
Cannot agree more.

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Lefteous wrote:We need to find the best default not the preferred setting of regular forum posters.
Well said. One way would be to discuss it in a thread and let people express and justify their opinions. Another way would be a poll, in which again people could vote and then post a justification of their vote. More-or-less it's the same thing, as long as everyone justifies his opinion in the poll. I believe i've expressed mine...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯