Big wish -> Big Drive Letter

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Big wish -> Big Drive Letter

Post by *Mikefield »

New version, new chance for change. It's also requested from many other users:
Please add support, with switch in wincmd.ini, for big drive letters in drive buttons and in drive combobox.

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I also think that some consistancy in other places would be nice.

In several instances TC uses lowercase for drive c: but UPPERCASE for other drive letters:

1. totalcmd.#.log files
2. tcignore.txt file (when using the button "Add selected names with full path")
3. using cm_CopySrcPathToClip
4. using cm_CopyTrgPathToClip
5. using cm_PrintDir
6. using cm_PrintDirSub

And I support a request to be able to set the drive letter case for ALL functions in TC.
Last edited by petermad on 2009-04-18, 00:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

N… times…

Post by *Clo »

2Mikefield

:) Hello !

• This has been requested several times in the past, and I prefer uppercase drive letters everywhere too.
- So, I support this wish for an option ! (one more time…)

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately drive letters are used in thousands of places in TC. It would be a Sysiphos work to find them all and make them configurable for upper- or lowercase letters. :(

Windows doesn't really care about it, so I don't see a good reason to spend many hours on it...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately drive letters are used in thousands of places in TC. It would be a Sysiphos work to find them all and make them configurable for upper- or lowercase letters. :(
Although I also would prefer a completely consistent case display of all drive letters (I'd highly prefer upper case driveletters btw.) I can understand that this would require tremendous efforts.

But maybe you could make this configurable at least for some main GUI elements, e.g.
- Drivebuttons
- Drives dropdown
- Tabs
- Commandline caption

And additionally the mentioned cm_copyPath* commands, maybe a few places more.

This could be packed in one option called 'UseUpperCaseDriveLettersInGUI'=0|1 or sth. like that

I hope this would be feasible...
KucingLapar

Post by *KucingLapar »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Windows doesn't really care about it, so I don't see a good reason to spend many hours on it...
Sorry if this gonna make you mad, but if windows doesn't really care about it, doesn't mean we, users who bought TC using our hard earn money, do not care at all about it. That is why all these while users have been bringing up this suggestions to request you fix the consistency in the drive case display.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

StickyNomad wrote:And additionally the mentioned cm_copyPath* commands
I must admit i was very much annoyed when the case in that particular part of TC was changed from upper to lower. AHK has limited the problem a little but it doesn't always work properly and it's still most annoying when i use TC from my flash drive on other PCs. I'd certainly appreciate the ability to at least configure the cm_copy* commands to use uppercase. It may seem strange to some people but i'd welcome this more than many other requests...

EDIT: I'm talking specifically about the cm_copy* commands because i mostly use this to transfer full file paths to other programs / the registry. I'm disappointed by the fact that almost all Windows programs use uppercase for the drive letters and TC, a tool i find essential, now uses lowercase. Also, the fact that many TC users (especially old ones) find this annoying should say something...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you can limit the requirement to just a few functions, I may be able to add it as an option. But where is it really needed?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

List above…

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,
…But where is it really needed?
• I guess that the StickyNomad's list above sounds reasonable and is not a too big task…
- It could be a good base, IMHO… :roll:

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If you can limit the requirement to just a few functions, I may be able to add it as an option. But where is it really needed?
Hi Christian.

To me, it would be really nice to be able to handle it in places where TC interacts with other programs:

- cm_CopyNamesToClip / cm_CopyFullNamesToClip
- Any place where a filename or path can be passed as a parameter to an external program (i.e. in the parameter field of a button - %P, %T, etc)
- CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (put selected filename in the command line)

Less important (but also nice) would be to have it in the following:
- TC's address bar (because the address can be copied to clipboard when in edit mode)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
xdye

Post by *xdye »

I think it would be great, too. At least, as a start, enable it for places such the drive list or the drive button bar, and over time, change it into the rest of places that really need it too.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Here is my wichlist:

1. totalcmd.#.log files
2. tcignore.txt file (when using the button "Add selected names with full path")
3. using cm_CopyFullNamesToClip
4. using cm_CopyNetNamesToClip
5. using cm_CopyFpFileDetailsToClip
6. using cm_CopyNetFileDetailsToClip
7. using cm_CopySrcPathToClip
8. using cm_CopyTrgPathToClip
9. using cm_PrintDir
10. using cm_PrintDirSub

And I wouldn't mind if I could also set
11. Drive buttons
12. Drive combo box
13. Current directory bar (breadcrumb bar)
14. Folder tabs (DirTabOptions=1024)
15. Command line (Ctrl+P, Ctrl+Shift+Enter)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
CmdrSpota

Post by *CmdrSpota »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately drive letters are used in thousands of places in TC. It would be a Sysiphos work to find them all and make them configurable for upper- or lowercase letters. :(

Windows doesn't really care about it, so I don't see a good reason to spend many hours on it...

!!! Windows itself display ALL Drive Letters in UPPERCASE !!!

So why don't YOU?

And BTW: All API-Funktions return UPPERCASE DriveLetters -> So YOU convert them to lowercase -> WHY WHY WHY WHY?
Last edited by CmdrSpota on 2009-04-24, 13:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

So why don't YOU?
Good question ;-)
License #524 (1994)
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, CmdrSpota.
And BTW: All API-Funktions return UPPERCASE DriveLetters -> So YOU convert them to lowercase -> WHY WHY WHY WHY?
Let me speculate:

T.C. is 16 years old. At that time monitors displayed 640*480 dots. So saving space was important. You need more space to display a capital letter than you need to display a lowercase letter. This will be the reason why conversion to lowercase was introduced.

T.C. is 16 years old. The source code grew longer and longer every year. And the number of functions where drive letters were converted to lowercase increased with every T.C. release.

Now locating all the code lines where a drive letter is converted to lowercase alone will be a pain. Locating all the code lines where a lower case drive letter is used for comparison to another string will be a pain.

Rewriting all these code lines in such a way that all drive letters will be converted to either uppercase or lowercase depending on a configurable setting will be an even bigger pain.
Rewriting all the code lines where drive letters are used in a comparison will be a lot of work, too.

And all this, just to fix a cosmetic issue ... :roll:

Kind regards,
Karl