[poll] Lister natively support JPG files

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Do you want Lister to natively support JPG and popular image formats?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 39

oviradoi

[poll] Lister natively support JPG files

Post by *oviradoi »

I think it's a bout time for Total Commander to natively support JPG and other popular image formats natively in Lister. I think it's pretty bad that Windows XP and up natively support these files, but Total Commander's lister does not.
I know that you can use InfranView or XNView, or multimedia plugins to view such content, but I find it unnecessary to install such tools if I only use them in TC, and since the functionality is clearly there without installing them.
If I choose thumbnail view, TC shows me thumbnails of those files, but in the lister still nothing.
I thought that TC 7.5 would bring this functionality, as it is a clear must, but it seems this has been overlooked.

Anyone else want JPG and other popular formats supported in lister, please post here or vote in the poll.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Voted no.
It doesn't hurt to install Imagine. It works well and internal solution wouldn't be significantly faster.
I don't think it's worth Christian's time.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Voted no as well.

In case Christian should decide to add internal support for popular image formats, fine, it will be definitely all right for me.

Yet, I wonder which formats should make it on the list of supported formats? There are so many different formats. There are dedicated graphics viewer like IrfanView, XNView and Imagine and quite a few others. Some of them work perfectly as lister plugins.
So I do not consider it a must to support popular image formats internally.

Cheers,
Karl
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

I agree with m^2.

Additionally: it would be hard to explain why JPG and not i.e. PNG, HTML, PDF or DOC. Many files types are popular and choosing only one of them is a waste of time IMHO. That is what are plugins for.

BTW I think you can see JPGs thumbs because Explorer supports them and you've got "Use Explorer method (OLE2)" option switched ON.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Clo

Post by *Clo »

[mod] Thread moved to “Total Commander Polls (English)”
which is the only section where Polls in English are allowed… ;)
Clo, moderator.[/mod]
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Clo

Not a gazworks…

Post by *Clo »

2oviradoi

:) Hello !

• I voted “No”, I don't wish that the TC Lister becomes a gazworks, it's already complicated enough,
and like the colleagues above said, we have good partner-programmes and plug-ins to to this…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
oviradoi

Post by *oviradoi »

2Clo
Sorry about posting there, i thought polls were allowed in that section. There even is a 3 page poll in English on the first page of that section.

2fenix_productions (and probably everyone else)
I know that TC shows me those thumbnails because I have the OLE2 option switched on. I was wondering if the author could use that same OLE2 method to get larger previews of files, and put them in the lister. That way, we wouldn't be discriminating against file formats. The lister would be theoretically able to support any image file that Explorer supports. I am no expert in that field, but I think that if you even put an IE control there, and give it the address of the image file, it would display it.

I for one am against using a plugin or a different program to do what could be done with TC. I guess this depends on what the author thinks is worth implementing. But I know that nowadays, few people even use BMPs day-to-day. All digital cameras make JPG photos. And i don't like installing a program i never use, just so have that functionality in TC.