TC7.50pb2: special chars not displayed in lister (ANSI/HEX)

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Yes, fixed OK in PB3.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

karlchen wrote:I would like to confirm Wanderer's statement that the issue has been solved by T.C. 7.50 PB3.
Hi Karl

Indeed it seems fixed but i'm not so sure it works perfectly in all cases. Personally, i'm not considering this issue fixed. Not yet at least. I just need some time to clarify some things...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Wanderer.

Sorry for misinterpreting your previous reply. Changed my post accordingly.

Cheers,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your tests!

2wanderer
Please let me know when you finish your tests, so I can move this to fixed or back to confirmed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian,

there seems to be a way of re-creating the (partly?) fixed issue: by using a font with variable width, as has been explained by Wanderer in the Beta Forum.
Wanderer wrote:- Select Encoding"As configured for current font"
- Select Options\Variable char width. Notice that black boxes are shown in place of characters that cannot be displayed.
- Select Encoding"ANSI" or "ASCII" or any other Encoding from the list. Now, nothing is shown in place of characters that cannot be displayed [BUG]. It seems it's the same issue reported in the original thread.
Seems as if all those who reported "issue fixed" only tested the options "ANSI font" and "ASCII font", i.e. fonts with fixed width. - I did, I know :oops: , because variable width is not really appropriate for hexviews.
Yet, confirmed, using a font with variable width the issue can be reproduced.

Environment:
+ Total Commander 7.50 PB3
+ Windows XP Prof, SP1, 32bit, ger
+ Windows 2000 SP4 (by Wanderer)

Have not tested on Vista, yet. (Will not be surprised if this is a pre-Vista issue only.)

<Added>
Using a font with variable width the issue can be reproduced on Vista as well.
</Added>

Cheers,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cannot reproduce, I tried with Arial, Microsoft Sans Serif, MS Sans Serif and various others on XP Pro. The line breaks always show up as dots with any encoding settings.

What font did you try?
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:What font did you try?
System, -13 (System, bold, 10)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem with Sytem font here. The line breaks are always shown as dots, even when choosing "Determined by current font".
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:No problem with Sytem font here. The line breaks are always shown as dots, even when choosing "Determined by current font".
Nope, just tried it with a clean INI. F3 on a text file, 3 for Hex, V for variable fonts and chose Encoding\ANSI from the menu. No dots are displayed, just missing characters for every 0D and 0A.

My tests were performed under Win2K-SP4.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Cannot reproduce, I tried with Arial, Microsoft Sans Serif, MS Sans Serif and various others on XP Pro. The line breaks always show up as dots with any encoding settings. What font did you try?
As all the lister font settings are on "Default" here still, I checked what the "Default" might be. Seems to be System, bold, 10 here, too, same as reported by Wanderer. - This applies to Windows XP Prof, SP1, 32bit, ger. (Will have to check what the "Default" is on Vista still.)

I selected different fonts and used them as the variable width font inside lister. The result is always the same:
As soon as the "Encoding" is set to a different encoding from "As configured for current font", the CR-LF characters are no longer displayed at all inside the right hand column. No matter which variable width font I use.
As long as the selected "Encoding" is "As configured for current font", the CR-LF will be displayed as filled black squares, as hollow squares etc, but they will be represented somehow. No matter which variable width font I choose.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2009-05-17, 21:01 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

karlchen wrote:Changed the variable width font used by T.C. lister to be Trebuchet MS, bold, 10: The CR-LF characters are displayed as tiny hollow squares.
Hi Karl

Cannot confirm under Win2K. Using Variable char width with Trebuchet MS, bold, 10 and ANSI encoding, the problem still exists. Also tried other fonts (Times, Verdana), the issue still exists.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Wanderer.

My post has been corrected.

I was so stupid to forget to change the encoding and kept it on "As configured for the current font" all the time when I cycled through various variable width fonts. :oops:

Having posted my incorrect results, I noticed this mistake, re-ran some tests using different encodings with different fonts, anything but "As configured for the current font" and of course the CR-LF characters disappeared from the right hand column of the hexview window.

Sorry for any confusion.

Karl
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hi Karl.
karlchen wrote:the CR-LF characters disappeared from the right hand column of the hexview window.
Ok then, so this happens in both Win2K and XP. Let's hope Christian can confirm it too and fix it.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I couldn't comfirm it so far. :(
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

Instead of giving one of my usually overly verbose step-by-step instructions here are 5 screenshots, in the right order, which illustrate what has been done on
+ Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit, Aero Theme
+ Total Commander 7.50 PB3
+ using an empty INI (/I=.\emptyTC.ini)
+ and using keyboard.txt as the testing file
I could create and post the corresponding lister screenshots on Windows XP (Luna Theme) and TC 7.50 PB3 as well.

HTH,
Karl
--
Here is my empyTC.ini at the end of the test:
[Configuration]
firstmnu=2810
SeparateTree=0
PanelsVertical=0
[Lister]
Font3=Arial,-13,b
textwidth=81
binwidth=75
SearchGoBack=3
BmpStartup=1
Multimedia=1
RTF=1
IView=0
IViewPath=i_view32.exe
HTMLasText=1
LinkBraces=1
Codepage=437
[left]
path=c:\Utils\Tc750PB3\
ShowAllDetails=1
SpecialView=0
show=1
sortorder=0
negative Sortorder=0
[right]
path=c:\
ShowAllDetails=1
SpecialView=0
show=1
sortorder=0
negative Sortorder=0
[RightHistory]
0=c:\
[LeftHistory]
0=c:\Utils\Tc750PB3\
1=c:\Utils\
2=c:\
Note: Though T.C. put in "IViewPath=i_view32.exe", IrfanView cannot be found following the %PATH% variable. So it cannot be used by lister at all.