Problem with thumbnail folder (folder.jpg) when ReloadSelThu

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gbo

Problem with thumbnail folder (folder.jpg) when ReloadSelThu

Post by *gbo »

To identify easily my photographies folders I choose one image by folder and create a folder.jpg with the following command in [start menu]

Command : c:\Program Files\ImageMagick\montage.exe
Parameters : %S1 -resize 192x192 -geometry +4+4 -tile 1x folder.jpg

So the first time I'm doing that it works fine but if I want to change the image and overwrite an already existing folder.jpg the folder thumbnail is not updated even after pressing the button [cm_ReloadSelThumbs].

This behaviour is not always the case sometimes the folder thumbnail is updated sometimes not. I would say 70% working and 30% not working. I have no clue why this is not consistant.

I have two ways to solve the problem

1. If I rename the folder and click cm_ReloadSelThumbs it updates the folder correctly, if I rename it to the former name the old image comes back
2. If I compact the thumbnails database and click cm_ReloadSelThumbs it updates the folder correctly (quite time consuming)

I suspect a cache issue, this was working fine with previous releases (7.02 and older). I noticed this behaviour on several computers.

Thanks for any idea how to solve the issue
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2gbo

What happens if you right-click the thumbnail and chose: "Re-load selected thumbnails" ?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
gbo

Post by *gbo »

petermad wrote:2gbo

What happens if you right-click the thumbnail and chose: "Re-load selected thumbnails" ?
No it doesn't refresh the folder thumbnail, thanks for trying.

If it could help I can make a video?
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

cm_ReloadSelThumbs should have the exact same effect - if the panel which you want to refresh is the active panel.

If you use the Explorer method to extract thumbnails, which is the default when there are no Lister plugins installed, you will see the following effect: The Explorer will not notice that a file has changed when the new file has the exact same size AND timestamp. To force a refresh, you can change the timestamp via Files - Change attributes. Alternatively, you can turn off thumbnail caching in Explorer (not in Total Commander, this has no effect in this case).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com