Use keyboard shortcuts while quick search is active

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vic2009

Use keyboard shortcuts while quick search is active

Post by *vic2009 »

Sorry for a little off-topic. Since it concerns quicksearch box and key combination, I decide to post it here.
Since new good features of Quickfilter and tcmatch.dll of TC7.5, I have to switch quick search method from "letter only" to "Letters - with search dialog". But one big disadvantage of the latter method is that when quick search box exists, TC can't accept many shortcuts, TC definded or self-defined.
For example, C+Z edit file comment. With quicksearch box exists, C+Z doesn't work, I have to press ESC to get rid of quicksearch box first.
There are so many shortcuts don't work when quicksearch box exists, I always have to press ESC first, it kinda slow my operating speed with TC.
I wonder if Mr. Ghisler could do something about this?

[mod]Thread split from Quicksearch / filter keyboard navigation.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
X-Byte

Post by *X-Byte »

I support vic2009's comment.

@Christian Ghisler:
Is it possible (in "Letters - with search dialog" mode) to react on Ctrl and Alt key combinations as Total Commander normally would? It's really annoying to press Esc everytime to be able to use the shortcuts again.
ouzoWTF

Post by *ouzoWTF »

I support that suggestion too. Key combinations with CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, WIN and of course the F-keys should "pass through" the quick search box.
Every now and then it takes some time for me to realize why the keystroke does not work. Its just like a little obstacle to progress :/
Single User Licence #201763
ped

Post by *ped »

I fully support this suggestion. I really miss being able to use copy/paste of files (ctrl+c) without having to press ESC first.
ouzoWTF

Post by *ouzoWTF »

No further opinions for this suggestion? :/
Single User Licence #201763
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I fully support it too as I (and others) stated already somewhere else.

I think the problem is that ctrl+c, ctrl+v, ctrl+x, ctrl+z are ambiguous. Could be either copy paste text etc. or it could be copy paste file in file panel.

A copy and paste of the quicksearch text would be contrary to the concept of Quick Search. So I think all of these key combinations should be forwarded to the file panel.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

I think an option for it could be nice because I am against forwarding text edit shortcuts to file panel (Ctrl+Z is one of them). I believe that that if the control is focused it should always get its own keys.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

If ESC is too difficult for you to reach, you could always use PgUp or PgDn.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

<bullshit>I am confused. This will not disable the QuickSearch window.
Can you explain your idea?</bullshit>

Edit: Your absolutely right.
Last edited by Samuel on 2009-07-21, 18:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

PgUp | PgDn | Esc, exits quicksearch.

If your QuickSearch has been stickied with Ctrl+S, then once the QuickSearch is "closed", ESC clears the quicksearch and turns it off completely.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Edited my last post. :oops:

It didnt work 3 minutes ago. I promise. :lol:
Bonx

Post by *Bonx »

The way it works now (arrow keys working inside quick search) is kinda annoying if you are used to SpecialCursorMovement=2, ie right arrow opens folder under cursor. But in quicksearch this does not work anymore...

I suggest the following:
When right arrow is pressed
If in quick search box
and SpecialCursorMovement=2
and cursor is at rightmost position
and cursor is over a folder
then open folder (instead of doing nothing, since the cursor can't be moved further)

This way we would have the best of both worlds!
Or?
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Very very special request. IMO it would be an inconsistence because sometimes moving right would result in cursor movement and sometimes not. Other users may think its a bug and will report it.

In private forum I suggested this:
Additional idea: "Arrow up" and "Arrow Down" could hide the QS window. (perhaps optional) -> Then every shortcut will work as normal.

The idea is: If I use QS then I usually first write 2 or 3 letters and when the result is reduced to very few entries I use up and down to select the right one.
This would make the QS window disappear more easily, because up and down arrow are better reachable than ESC or pageup pagedown.

BTW: When I wrote the post in the beta forum I mentioned, that really much shortcuts actually work. I only miss:

Code: Select all

Ctrl+x - Cut file
Ctrl+c - copy file
Ctrl+v - paste file
Ctrl+z - show file comment
What do you miss?
Bonx

Post by *Bonx »

Additional idea: "Arrow up" and "Arrow Down" could hide the QS window. (perhaps optional) -> Then every shortcut will work as normal.

The idea is: If I use QS then I usually first write 2 or 3 letters and when the result is reduced to very few entries I use up and down to select the right one.
Your idea is better than mine.

Support++
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Samuel wrote:

Code: Select all

Ctrl+x - Cut file
Ctrl+c - copy file
Ctrl+v - paste file
Ctrl+z - show file comment
If these are going to be implemented then I vote for implementing them for standard text oprations and an option to toggle between two choices.

As far as I understand that someone might find handling files operations by them usefull, I do not understand why I cannot simply paste text to QuickSearch control. It would be strange to have to choose between full files control and nothing.

As for arows: it should definitely be optional.

Currently I am using them to focus on wanted file and select it with shift. Disappearing QS could be just annoying.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...