“Shift+Click” on a bar button…

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

“Shift+Click” on a bar button…

Post by *Clo »

:arrow: ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,

• It shows the bar as a menu, but only whith the full path as command. It doesn't work if you set OPENBAR, example here:
OPENBAR default.bar opens the bar #1 normally, not as a menu from the [1] button set in my bar #2,
E:\TC_7-03_beta\default.bar opens the bar #1 as a menu from the [1] button set in my bar #3…
- Could this be fixed ? If not, we will add a note in the Tutos…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Confirmed!
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

I confirm! too
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I don't understand the problem. OPENBAR isn't meant for the button bar because the button bar already opens .bar files automatically without any extra command...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

But simple

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)
Sorry, I don't understand the problem. …
:shock: But still it's very simple !
… OPENBAR isn't meant for the button bar because the button bar already opens .bar files automatically without any extra command...
• Nothing to do with that.
• I've three bars working as a circular call, numbered like :
1 (default) has bars buttons [1] Current ¦ [2] To call ¦ [3] To call
2 has bars buttons [1] To call ¦ [2] Current ¦ [3] To call
3 has bars buttons [1] To call ¦ [2] To call ¦ [3] Current
• Now, please reread my start message, and you will understand…
- When the call to open the bar #1 is sent with the full path, it works to show it as a menu whith SHIFT+Click,
while if the call uses OPENBAR default.bar it works to show the bar as buttons but NOT as a menu, that's all !
- All my *.bar files are in the root of the TC folder !
- Not any bar button has the option “Show as menu” ticked.
- The “Current” bar icons here have special icons which open the configuration of the current bar.

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2009-06-20, 15:40 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

OPENBAR is a command but not the linked button bar. So, it can't be opened as menu. If you want to have possibility to open button bar as menu and (with Shift) to switch to it, you should:
6. As a further possibility, you can insert a button to switch to another button bar. To do this, click on the button Add subbar >>.
I think there is no mess.
Clo

Even ticked

Post by *Clo »

2MVV

:) Hi !

• I'm using several bars as a circular call for ages, I know very well how to set them, i.e. SIX BARS in my 7.04a version…
- In that version, I use indifferently either the full path or OPENBAR <file.bar> to call each bar, that works.
- It works similarly to open a bar from another one in TC 7.5, except that Shift+Click doesn't open it as a menu.
Even if I tick the box “[×] Show as menu”, it doesn't work either ! It shows the bar as buttons -as usual-
despite that the overlay arrow is displayed…
- That's incoherent, IMHO.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Even ticked

Post by *MVV »

Clo wrote:- In that version, I use indifferently either the full path or OPENBAR <file.bar> to call each bar, that works.
- It works similarly to open a bar from another one in TC 7.5, except that Shift+Click doesn't open it as a menu.
- That's incoherent, IMHO.
I know that you can set linked button bar buttons :) I just showed a piece of help file.
I repeat the thing: when you enter bar file name, it may be opened as bar or menu. But there is no logical menu for command. I even don't understand why you are using OPENBAR when all things work without it perfectly!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

OK, let me repeat that OPENBAR will always set a new button bar, it will not open a dropdown bar, with or without shift.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

BUT IT WORKS !

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good afternoon,
OK, let me repeat that OPENBAR will always set a new button bar, it will not open a dropdown bar, with or without shift.
• Let me repeat that this statement is wrong :
At any time, OPENBAR opens another bar from a bar button when I click that button, not only to add a bar !
- Did you test it in a similar button-bar layout ?
• Till 7.5, I didn't notice any difference, just now to show as menu (that's actually useless to me…)
- Well, we will add a note in the Tutos, in order to avoid that users fall in the same trap, but something is not solved here:
1. The box Show as menu is not greyed out - it's know already- but in the case specially annoying…
2. The overlay arrow might not be added on the bar-button.

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: BUT IT WORKS !

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author) wrote:OK, let me repeat that OPENBAR will always set a new button bar, it will not open a dropdown bar, with or without shift.
When I set command field to 'OPENBAR 1.bar' or just '1.bar', TC activates 'Show as menu' checkbox. But it shouldn't be active when user uses OPENBAR command. This is the only mess in this situation.
Clo

Last words…

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,

• Just some last words to close (temporarily) that topic…

1. I'm French, thus Cartesian, so I can't understand different behaviours for commands of the same group,
just a comparison :
¤ Let's imagine that all commands with parameters are designed in the same way than OPENBAR as you see it.
- So, FTPOPEN can be used only in a dialogue to add¦configure a F T P connection, does it not ?
Indeed not ! It starts the F T P connection itself as expected !

2. When an average user opens the Command Browser at this paragrah, s¦he sees only :
OPENBAR <filename> _____Load a button-bar from a file
- Where ? How ? Nothing about using limitations - which in fact are only about Show as menu currently…

3. Again, I try to avoid that users get that issue and post useless messages here
or¦and send you e-mails, you have other fish to fry…8)

4. The way in which I use the button-bar for a while is very convenient, any bar can be called from any other,
actually it's even more than a circular call.
The only lacuna being still that the last used bar is not memorized when TC is closed, but that's another song…
- Showing a 35-icon bar as a menu fills more than the half of the screen and hides a whole pane here,
hence doesn't bring any advantage to me.

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2009-06-21, 19:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
WhACKO

Post by *WhACKO »

@Clo

Could you please paste (or attach) a sample of your bar(s) including how you use the openbar command?
Clo

Not here---

Post by *Clo »

2WhACKO

:) Hello !

• Nothing can be attached here with that board soft as it's configured…

- Well, I packed my *.bar files - just a 3-bar example from my TC 7.5 ß…
You can get the pack HERE.
- My own icons are used, you may get the most of them THERE (all as 24² for the bars)

• About how to use OPENBAR, like you can see above there is a hitch,
we'll end to add a note in the Tutos which will be available very soon…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
WhACKO

Post by *WhACKO »

I think I get it now, you also want to have nested bars, to open another linked bar as drop-down from the first linked bar, right?

and you absolutely don't need to have OPENBAR to open your default bar, you just need to point to E:\TC_7-03_beta\default.bar, I don't understand the need to use that command.