TC7.5 rc1: Compare directories on the same drive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HPie

TC7.5 rc1: Compare directories on the same drive

Post by *HPie »

Stilll having following problem with "Synchronize Directories":
When I try to compare d:\firefox with d:\firefox_2 following message is displayed: Warning: the left and right side show the same directory! d:\
Clo

Open them… ?

Post by *Clo »

2HPie
:) Hello !

• You must open the two folders…
- I tested with 2 similar directories, and nothing happens if they are closed.
- I get only the drive root in each pane (but no message).
- When the two folders are open, that works as expected.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2009-08-13, 20:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
HPie

Post by *HPie »

Hi !

Of course, it works when both directories are open. But with different drives I can synchronize directories without opening them.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hello HPie,
But with different drives I can synchronize directories without opening them.
No, you cannot. You synchronize the different drives then.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2HPie
Of course, it works when both directories are open. But with different drives I can synchronize directories without opening them.
Notice the setting of "Only selected (in main window)"
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check that - I guess that the error occurs because one directory name is a part of the other name...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2HPie
When I try to compare d:\firefox with d:\firefox_2
TC will not compare d:\firefox <> d:\firefox_2 after just marking those 2 dirs, with active path d:\ on both panels.
Instead d:\ <> d:\ will get synchronized, only processing the 2 marked folders. This is by design AFAIS.
petermad wrote:Notice the setting of "Only selected (in main window)"
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

HPie wrote:Of course, it works when both directories are open. But with different drives I can synchronize directories without opening them.
You can sync two folders by selecting them ONLY IF THEY HAVE EQUAL NAMES. Because TC syncs OPENED folders but not SELECTED. Selecting folders in panels allows to you to skip other folders while synchronizing. So, please take attention on how "Only selected (in main window)" checkbox works (press F1 in sync window).
When you open sync window, please look at folders names to be synchronized. If you have D:\ opened on both panels and select Firefox and Firefox_2, you will have D:\ and D:\ folders for synchronizing. Of course, TC will warn you that you trying to sync the same folder.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it's not a bug. What TC does it compare two dirs in the left and right panels with each other, not the two selected dirs.

The selected dirs go into the function "only selected". It means that only files in the selected subdirs will be found. This is meant for different base dirs on left and right side, of course.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HPie

Post by *HPie »

Sorry, but I do not understand...
I first select folder "d:\d" on the left panel and then folder "d:\d1" on the right panel. Then, when I try to synchronize/compare both folders, I get the error message...
But, if the selected folder "d1", in the right panel, is on a different drive, not the same as the selected folder "d" on the left panel, I can synchronize/compare both folders. for example "d:\d" and "e:\d1". Why ?
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2HPie
Let say you have not "d:\d" and "d:\d1",but "d:\1234\d" and "d:\1234\d1" ( and "d:\1234\d", "e:\1234\d1")

Because in 1 case you compare "d:\1234\" with "d:\1234\" and in 2 case "d:\1234\" with "e:\1234\" , I guess.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

HPie,
I first select folder "d:\d" on the left panel and then folder "d:\d1" on the right panel. Then, when I try to synchronize/compare both folders, I get the error message...
You must realize, that in this case you synchronize d:\ and d:\. That you selected "d" on the left and "d1" on the right does not matter. You can select any dirs you want, you are still synchronizing the same dir and you would only be including / excluding subdirs (which does note make sense, because they exist on both sides).
if the selected folder "d1", in the right panel, is on a different drive, not the same as the selected folder "d" on the left panel, I can synchronize/compare both folders. for example "d:\d" and "e:\d1". Why ?
Because in this case you are synchronizing different directories - d:\ and e:\. By selecting subdirs, you only in-/exclude them from synchronization, as explained above.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

BTW, if you select D:\D folder on the left and E:\D1 folder on the right and press Sync - Compare button, TC just will suggest you to add D folder to the right and D1 folder to the left, but you won't compare contents of D:\D and E:\D1 folders. :!:
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I think I prefer TC working how it does in this regard. Just open the two folders in question, and then Sync.

Though I must admit, the results of doing something like

(selected, L) h:\APPS\OfficeBiz
(selected, R) i:\iOffice2
iOffice2 is a junction to h:\APPS\Copy of OfficeBiz\
and I deleted one file from the copy...

Yet synchronize tells me it wants to copy everything from both folders to each other. Which would copy the files to themselves. Which means its not even attempting to compare the two selected folders at all.