Quick Search behavior

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

WBTMagnum

Quick Search behavior

Post by *WBTMagnum »

Hi there,

I really appreciate the efforts which were put into the new quick search, but I find the current behavior somewhat annoying and I have not found a way to change it.

What annoys me is the following:
* I start a quick search and type a few letters
* The view is condensed to a few files
* The file I look for is not among them
* I quit quick search, but the view is still condensed
* Now I regularly find myself pressing backspace and I land in the parent directory

I really have tried to force myself to press Esc again, but it does not work. That's why the new quick search is more nuisance to me than help.

From my point of view, adequate solutions (in no particular order) are:
* Allow the user to go back to the old quick search behavior.
* When quitting quick search, also go back to the normal directory view (not condensed).
* Pressing back space in a condensed view, goes back to normal view, instead of the parent directory.

I also like the behavior of muCommander. When in quick search, the list of files is not condensed, but matching files are highlighted, non-matching files are grayed out. I find this behavior intuitive and convenient.

Tell me what you think about it.

Best regards,
Sascha
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Press Ctrl+S

I like current behaviour.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Quick Search behavior

Post by *Samuel »

WBTMagnum wrote:The file I look for is not among them
Perhaps a little OT but QuickSearch eXtended could help you to find your file. (TCs integrated search is a little bit limited)

With it you can search for "cat dog" and find not only "cat dog.txt" but also "dogs and cats.doc".
Its also possible to check for files with a similar name or RegEx expressions. (See link for more features)
WBTMagnum wrote:Allow the user to go back to the old quick search behavior.
Use "QuickSearchAutoFilter=0"
WBTMagnum wrote:When quitting quick search, also go back to the normal directory view (not condensed).
IMO it is very good like now. I could filter some files and easily interact with them. (and only them)
WBTMagnum wrote:Pressing back space in a condensed view, goes back to normal view, instead of the parent directory.
I support this.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2WBTMagnum
Like Balderstrom wrote: use Ctrl+S.

As for the current way it works: this is perfect for me. I had tried muCommander QuickSearch in the past and I did not like it. It's too different from something I expect from QS and I've seen in other file managers.

BTW if it bothers you, you can use QuickSearchAutoFilter parameter in your wincmd.ini file.
Help file wrote:QuickSearchAutoFilter=0
0: Automatic quick search filter (Ctrl+S) disabled
1: Automatic quick search filter (Ctrl+S) enabled
-1:Like 0, but do not save state when closing TC (filter always disabled at startup)
2: Like 1, but do not save state either (filter always on when starting TC)
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

WBTMagnum

Post by *WBTMagnum »

Balderstrom wrote:Press Ctrl+S
That's what I'm talking about :roll: ...
Samuel wrote:QuickSearch eXtended
Thx, have seen that.
Samuel wrote:Use "QuickSearchAutoFilter=0"
That indeed does the trick. But I think that it would be nice if users could change this from the options menu.
Samuel wrote:
WBTMagnum wrote:When quitting quick search, also go back to the normal directory view (not condensed).
IMO it is very good like now. I could filter some files and easily interact with them. (and only them)
I confess that it's nice to interact with a limited number of files in condensed view. But I can think of no situation where I could not perform these interactions while still in quick search mode ... correcting myself now: maybe I should use the mouse more frequently ;-).

Best regards,
Sascha
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

WBTMagnum wrote:
Balderstrom wrote:Press Ctrl+S
That's what I'm talking about :roll: ...
Dont know if you really got this:
You can also disable the filter with Ctrl+s
I usually use ESC to disable it.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Ctrl+S toggles the behaviour back and forth. And so long as you haven't used the -1|2 setting as noted above. TC will remember if you prefer it to use FilterFiles or OldBehaviour JumpToFile.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

WBTMagnum wrote:
Samuel wrote:Use "QuickSearchAutoFilter=0"
That indeed does the trick. But I think that it would be nice if users could change this from the options menu.
Best regards,
Sascha
So far only a few people need this option, it must be not placed into options menu in order not to make this menu overloaded. It is already very complex. IMHO.
WBTMagnum

Post by *WBTMagnum »

Balderstrom wrote:Ctrl+S toggles the behaviour back and forth. And so long as you haven't used the -1|2 setting as noted above. TC will remember if you prefer it to use FilterFiles or OldBehaviour JumpToFile.
Thanks for the enlightenment. I would not have discovered this by myself.

Anyhow, in condensed view I'm still irritated that backspace takes me to the parent directory. I still think it would be a good idea to change this behavior.

Balderstrom wrote:So far only a few people need this option, it must be not placed into options menu in order not to make this menu overloaded. It is already very complex. IMHO.
Jipp, the preferences are quite dense sometimes. But the options for quick search are quite OK (until now :twisted:).

Thanks for all your inputs,
Sascha
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Though I would like to see QuickSearch Filters that don't undo when changing tabs. By either:
  1. Selecting files and applying a cm_ToggleFilterOnlySelected, or
  2. A quickFilter specific option/toggle.
Also, I would prefer "Return" to close the QuickSearch.
Especially when it is a QuickSearch Filter, instead of launching the file under the cursor.
deckard

Post by *deckard »

I find myself wishing that I could type anything in the quick search. Like a dynamic filter (almost like CTRL-F12, but more convenient). That is, I would like to be able to search for any parts of filenames, not just the beginnings.

I'm not sure how that would affect quick search behaviour, but I find myself expecting this to work...

Any thoughts?
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

There are 2 options in "TC -> Configuration -> QuickSearch". (exact beginning and ending)

To customize many other things I wrote: QuickSearch eXtended
deckard

Post by *deckard »

Samuel wrote:There are 2 options in "TC -> Configuration -> QuickSearch". (exact beginning and ending)

To customize many other things I wrote: QuickSearch eXtended
Wow, I was too excited and too fast to post! :) Thank you!

For me, Quick search is the best new feature in TC for years! Thank you Christian! (By the way, is TC still a one man project?)
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Your welcome.

Actually Christian does it with his Brother. (His brother does the non programming related stuff like selling etc.)
deckard

Post by *deckard »

Cool. :)

I will check out your QuickSearch eXtended as well, looks interesting!

Thanks again!