My suggestions.

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Are my suggestions good or bad?

Good.
15%
Bad.
85%

Total votes: 13

Krizz

My suggestions.

Post by *Krizz »

I don't know if these already have been suggested or already built in, but I haven't seen them so I'm writing them here anyways.

§ Shortcut button to show hidden files in the toolbar.

I mean a button in the toolbar where people can click to enable or disable wether or not hidden files should be showed. So people don't have to go into the settings and change it, I'm talking from my own experience that it's kinda frustrating if you're like me and are switching back and forth a lot.
---
§ Another renamer.

I know there's already is a function to rename files when moving files. But I'd love to have a function that compares all the files with the same filenames and if there is a slight difference within the file Total Commander automaticaly moves/copies the file(s) and adds a number to it so it doesn't overwrite the existing file. But if they are identical Total Commander doesn't do anything.
---
If anything is unclear I'll try to rewrite it better. I wrote this at 5:45 AM so I'm pretty tired.

Thanks for this awesome software that I use every single day! Both on my computer and my PDA's.

Cheers from Sweden!
Clo

No here

Post by *Clo »

[mod]Polls are only allowed in the special forum section, thread moved to Total Commander Polls (English)
Clo, moderator[/mod]
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Clo

The wheel ?

Post by *Clo »

2Krizz

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !
…§ Shortcut button to show hidden files in the toolbar. …
:shock: Don't you know that you can add that in the button-bar ? Just use the command : cm_SwitchHidSys for that button.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Krizz

Post by *Krizz »

Thanks for the welcome. :D

No I didn't know about that, I just added it and it works like a charm. Thanks again. :)

Edit: Sorry for the poll.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

§ Another renamer.

I know there's already is a function to rename files when moving files. But I'd love to have a function that compares all the files with the same filenames and if there is a slight difference within the file Total Commander automaticaly moves/copies the file(s) and adds a number to it so it doesn't overwrite the existing file. But if they are identical Total Commander doesn't do anything.
Try and click the "Options >>" button in the copy or move dialog - here you can chose to auto-rename copied or target file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Krizz

Post by *Krizz »

Yeah I know that, but I don't want another copy of the file if they are identical that just takes up unessesary disk space, therefor I just want Total Commander to move files that are different.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

What he's talking about is basically like WinRar's ability to update a rar file and instead of overwriting changed files inside the .rar it adds ;1 to the filename in question (or ;2 ;3 etc)

So an option in the Synchronize stage of the SyncTool to
[x]Make backups of files to be overwritten.
Say you have C:\MyFile.txt and D:\MyFile.txt --
Instead of overwriting D:\MyFile.txt with C:\MyFile.txt you would wind up with:
D:\MyFile.txt (updated version)
D:\MyFile.txt;1 (old version)

TC would rename the file that is to be overwritten, to the next available valid filename, that matches the filter (similiar to the multirename tool's Counter). Would need a small button to popup a menu to set:
StartAt: 1, StepBy: 1, Digits: 3

Note: Just like the multirename tool, you can indicate StartAt is "a"
Filter:
[EditBoxExample1]: *;[C].*
[EditBoxExample2]: *.*;[C]
So synchronizing a few times you would wind up with:
MyFile.txt
MyFile.txt;001
MyFile.txt;002
MyFile.txt;003

I think the idea is a good one.

It could actually just popup the MultiFile Rename tool, and it would copy the file as per any rule you would want to set within the MRT... :-)
Last edited by Balderstrom on 2009-09-13, 16:00 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Krizz

Post by *Krizz »

Yeah, that's more precise of what I mean exept I only want Total Commander to do it if there is a difference within the file, but if they are identical Total Commander doesn't do anything.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

@Krizz ... thats the whole use of the Synchronize Tool - it will only overwrite files that are different. Thus the versioning would only kick in when the files are different.
Krizz

Post by *Krizz »

Okey, I've come up with a little example to make sure you guys know what I mean.

Let's say you have these folders.
"C:\MyFiles" and "D:\MyFiles"

And they both have 5 identical files, but then you edit the 5th file in "D:\Myfiles". And then you want to make a backup in "C:\Myfiles" and hit the copy key, and Total Commander skips the first 4 files because they are identical but then the last file has a difference so Total commander copies it and renames it to "C:\MyFiles\File5_2.exe".