Can't interrupt thumbnailing on network share drive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Can't interrupt thumbnailing on network share drive

Post by *JohnFredC »

Sometimes I forget that a tab is in thumbnail mode and navigate to a (relatively slow) network share that has lots of image folders.

TC dutifully starts thumbnailing the new image folders, but the UI freezes until thumbnailing completes. If I switch away from TC, I cannot redisplay its window until the thumbnailing completes. TC appears in the XP task bar but reports "Not responding". If I wait long enough, TC completes the thumbnails and reappears of its own accord.

Very frustrating. The TC menu does not "blank out" as it does when TC is waiting on a network share, so, until I switch away from TC, the TC window looks normal, the thumbnails appear gradually as they should, but TC is completely unresponsive.

Today it was 5 minutes before TC completed the thumbnailing and returned control to me. I could have stopped it by forcing TC to close, but I thought... might as well generate the thumbnails.

I'm not always able to be so sanguine about it.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Strange, thumbnailing is done in a background thread! You should be able to click on a different tab or switch to a different directory while it is active.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

You should be able to click on a different tab or switch to a different directory while it is active.
Usually I can...

This situation involves a slow network share (connection slow, networked drive also slow) and hundreds of large jpgs in many subfolders. That's a lot of network traffic as well as a lot of processing and file access on both sides of the connection... apparently some part of that chain doesn't want to give the TC GUI any cycles.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric