Shortcuts F5/F6 Bug

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lefreak

Shortcuts F5/F6 Bug

Post by *lefreak »

I have tried TC 7.5 and noticed that when I have the "network neighborhood" shown in the left panel, each time I try to copy/move something from the right panel via F5/F6, TC tries to copy/move it to "network neighborhood" instead of showing the dialog box where I can decide the destiny of the file(s).

Is this a normal behaviour? I had quite a difficult time because I have one panel invisible (i. e. reduced to 0.2 %), so I didn't know why TC always wanted to copy to the network neighborhood ... :)
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, lefreak.

Are you talking about the root folder of "Network Neighborhood" which is displayed as "\\Network Neighborhood" in the addressbar right above the file panel by Total Commander?

If this is the case, then, please, note that "Network Neighborhood" is not a normal folder where you can copy or move objects to. Rather it is a virtual folder which is used by Windows to present network related objects to you.

So the function copy (F5) and move (F6) work correctly. You cannot copy or move anything to "\\Network Neighborhood". Yet, it is questionable whether T.C. should not let you know instead of doing nothing silently.

Kind regards,
Karl
lefreak

Post by *lefreak »

Yes, I was talking exactly about the root folder "Network Neighborhood".
I thought that the bug consists of the fact that the destination of F5/F6 is automatically taken from the other panel, instead of showing the dialog box which is normally shown.

That means that you cannot copy/move any file with F5/F6 when you have the "Network Neighborhood" in the other panel (visible or invisible)!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

lefreak,
I thought that the bug consists of the fact that the destination of F5/F6 is automatically taken from the other panel, instead of showing the dialog box which is normally shown.
The box which is normally shown always takes the destination from the other panel. This has been like this since v1.0. Have you had other experience?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Evds

Post by *Evds »

If you show a tree view in the left panel and you try to copy something from the right panel you neither get the change to decide to where you want to copy something and that wasn't the case in previous versions (for example 7.01).

I made a topic of this problem in "Total Commander (English)" because i wasn't sure that this was "expected" new behaviour or a bug (i couldn't find anything about it in the forum).

Can someone clarify this ?

Win XP, Tcmd 7.50a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you press F5 and the target is a virtual folder, TC will use the Explorer method to copy the files. Unfortunately this method doesn't allow to change the name while copying.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Evds

Post by *Evds »

Hi,

If i select, for example, "c:\program files\" in the left panel (tree view) is "c:\program files\" then considered as a virtual folder ?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Evds.
If i select, for example, "c:\program files\" in the left panel (tree view) is "c:\program files\" then considered as a virtual folder ?
No matter what you do to "C:\program files", it is always a real folder, not a virtual folder. This is true even under Windows Vista. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
Evds

Post by *Evds »

Hi,
No matter what you do to "C:\program files", it is always a real folder, not a virtual folder.
Why does tcmd then use the explorer method to copy files when the source or destination panel is a tree view ?

Best regards,

Win XP, Tcmd 7.50a