Cirital: Following "Documents and Settings" in Win

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

HolgerK, you're right! Using Explorer I can't enter even my old dear C:\Documents and Settings junction! So now I understood why Explorer doesn't enter C:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings folder.

And, I saw this topic about wrong remote junction behaviour (I think TC should resolve remote junctions to remote folders).

As I see, Explorer also can't enter junctions in C:\Users\All Users folder too. BTW, using command line any user can resolve theese junctions:

Code: Select all

dir /a:hs "C:\Users\All Users"
And, theese junctions have restricted rights for "reading and browsing". So maybe as an option, TC may read junction access rights before entering it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually it's a bug of the Windows 7 installer which doesn't fix the links - they still point to the old c:\users location, not to the new c:\windows.old\users location. Therefore when TC reads out the link target, it gets c:\users and goes to that location. Btw, TC only reads out the link if it cannot follow the link by Windows means, which is unfortunately the case for many Windows 7 links...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Btw, TC only reads out the link if it cannot follow the link by Windows means, which is unfortunately the case for many Windows 7 links...
That's why sometimes TC changes current path to link target instead of entering it like folder!

But, can you add some option to disable reading link target if TC can't follow link? Such simple option may be useful for some users like our topic starter. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will consider it, thanks for your suggestion.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com