This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? 
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange GUI delays
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC7.5x(a) final bug reports (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I could reproduce it - I'm using an old Pentium III with 866 MHz for development to see any slowness immediately, and I cannot see any such delays. Sad
cobian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry by hijacking this thread, but I was searching info about a similar problem and I found this thread.

I am the author of a backup utility (Cobian Backup) that is written in Delphi as well. Version 10 is written in Delphi 2010 (unicode) and up to version 9 it was written using the Ansi version with TNT Unicode components+ using directly the W Api functions.

The case is that I am receiving the same complain from some of my users about the program copying much slower than it did in the same machine in version 9. I myself cannot reproduce the issue either. Version 10 is faster on all the tests machines that I am using. The copy procedure is based on CopyFileEx. One of the users that is experimenting a slow down send me a process monitor log and there are a LOT of calls to "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\server name" before, after and during the copy of a single file. I can't understand the reason of those repeated calls either and I'm not sure who is to blame here.

C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\, if I recall it correctly is used for caching and synchronization of a machine in the network.

Those of you who are experimenting this problem in TC: is your machine on a network environment and are you using folder synchronization with some server path?

Perhaps this would set Christian(and me) on the right path to solve this weird issue.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that this is related. CSC is used for "make files available offline". Windows caches remote files in these subdirs to make them available when the connection to the server isn't available. I guess that this caching causes the slowdown in your case.
cobian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm don't think either that this is related somehow, but the strange thing is that the same thread I use in D2010, when compiled with D2007 doesn't cause those extra calls. I need to check the implementation that Embarcadero is using in 2010 in some SysUtils functions I heavily use to see if something has changed there.

The hard part is that there is no way *I* can reproduce that issue on my machines (sigh)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm still using Delphi 2 with my own Unicode implementation, so I don't know whether it's related or not. But maybe it's just the difference between CopyFileExA and CopyFileExW?
zhal

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quite similar problem at me: when a file opened (with default external viewer) and is still open (e.g. picture or text file) the speed and response time is ok.

When the file is closed (with or without saving), te TC gets frozen for a few seconds (1-2?). It is quite annoying to wait for a time while I can do 2-3-4 file operation.

Is this the same problem, or an other? Dell Optiplex 270 with XP and 1,75G.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's the typical behaviour of some virus scanners which scan files when they are being closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC7.5x(a) final bug reports (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: