Error when copying hughe files (>8.5GB)

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Norfolk

Error when copying hughe files (>8.5GB)

Post by *Norfolk »

I did some massive file-copying today and encountered errors, when the file is 8.5GB or bigger.

TC 7.50a aborts with the message:

Error: Cannot write *******!
Please remove the write protection!

A plain DOS-"Copy" did the job for those files right after TC aborted with said message.

As I did copy many files, I am very sure that the file-size of 8.5+ GB is the only reason for this message.
System: Win XP Prof 32bit SP3, local drives NTFS, ext usb-drive NTFS, and a ubuntu-ext3-Samba-share. I did various copy between those drives and it seems like all files failed which were bigger than 8.5, maybe 9.0 GB.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Strange, I'm not aware of any size limit in the CopyFileEx function. Does anyone else have similar problems?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Norfolk

Post by *Norfolk »

I just tried again and could not reproduce the problem.

it works without problem now.

yesterday - before a shutdown during night and reboot this morning - it happened all the time when files were 8.5+ GB and there was no hint of any other problems.

as i could not reproduce, i can only assume possible triggers somewhere along the road. i did various copying of about 1TB in total and about 300.000 files, as it was a massive cleanup-process including some tar-gzipping and unpacking etc. I also tried to copy big files on a FAT32-drive, which ofc did not work for max-filesize-limitations. the drive was formated to NTFS and reused later that way. maybe one of those issues triggered that mentioned problem, because even hours later, when there was no more archiving and fat32 involved, but only copying of big files from just 1 directory to another, the problem with filesizes >8.5GB still occured. so the reboot did help, maybe even a restart of TC would have, but i didnt check that detail.

well, i'll repost in case i got further informations.
Ро&am

Post by *Ро&am »

I have the same problem.
One days ago I install Windows XP sp3 to my new hdd.
Download TC 7.55a
Try to copy files from old 1Tb (Samsung HD103UJ) to new 2Tb (WD Caviar Green) , booth with NTFS.
I copy from D:\ to C:\x1000
It was without problem it works 12 hours and copy almost all information.
But in root (in D:\) I have 2 big files (sizes: 101Gb and 194Gb)
When it start copy firs ot them (101Gb) it stops at 14% and write error: "Please remove the write protection!"
I click button "Skip"
The second file (194Gb) stops at 7% and write the same error.
I click "Skip" , and after copy finishing , try copy each of this files separatly.
I try copy this files 5 times. Small file always stops at 14% , and big file (194Gb) stops at 7%.
When I change language settings in TC (set from English language to Russian) - smaller file go to copy till 31%

In moment when I start copy , in C:\ creates destination file and it have size like source file. When TC show error - destination file desapire.

BUT:
if I try copy file with DOS commands "COPY" or "XCOPY" it can't copy files to. Booth commands wait long time (they not show progress) and finaly write: "There are no resources to create file"
I don't know what of resourses is needed to simple copy file?
I have more then 1200Gb in C: , CPU have 30-40% in coping time , and new Windows XP use less then 300Mb of RAM (1Gb RAM on board).
In any case - it is NOT problem of Total Commander.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

What are those 2 files? - are they being changed by the system or other programs frequently? - because TC might fail if the files changes during the copy process.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's possible that these files are locked (record-locking somewhere in the middle). You can check that with a tool like WhoLockMe or Unlocker.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AMteam

Post by *AMteam »

Hi,

I’ve encountered the same problem and I think I know what’s the reason. It happened when copying a file to USB-stick.

I also got the message;
‘Error: Cannot write: <path>

Please remove write protection!’
Then I tried it in Explorer and got this error:

‘The file ‘<filename>’ is too large for the destination file system.’

So the error is ‘correct’, but the description is wrong.

Thanks,
Gab
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Ро&am wrote:I have the same problem.
One days ago I install Windows XP sp3 to my new hdd.
Download TC 7.55a
Try to copy files from old 1Tb (Samsung HD103UJ) to new 2Tb (WD Caviar Green) , booth with NTFS.
Do you have the proper drivers/patches for XP?
WinXP can't handle a 2TB drive plug-n-play. I imagine you will run into all kinds of problems similiar to win98 (current?) and 2K's (old) 128GB partition limit.
voter

Post by *voter »

I got the same problem when copying, syncronysing big files(100MB and more) with a external usb drive.
Both bei
Local HDD -> External USB drive
External USB drive1 -> External Usb drive 2

Error accures accidentialy at any part of copy process, for instace 15 or 60% and if retry it could happen that the copyy would be successfull, but appeared by next big file.

I thought that may be some other program at same time trying to access the file, for instance I tried to switch of antivirus, but it dosn't help.

However, just by retrying mayn time I was successful and the files have been copied.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Sounds like one or more of the following:
1) Your drive is bad.
2) The USB port isn't getting enough power.
3) Your PSU is bad.
4) RAM issues.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.