Font/Tumbnails size with Scroll button

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

omdawe

Font/Tumbnails size with Scroll button

Post by *omdawe »

I would believe its a standard now in most programs to zoom/resize the size of fonts, listings or images using CTRL and the scroll button on the mouse.

And CTRL + 0 to get back the standard zoom/view.

I would mostly need this for images as many times i have clients looking at one of my screens looking for pictures to use. And i would like with ease to enlarge them for OLD farts to see whats on the thumbnail and sometimes to make them smaller to get a more more over view.

Works in Adobe programs, ACDSee, Mozilla firefox, Notepad2, Windows Explorer, Internet Exploder, Chrome, MS Office and much more.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This zooming is useful with Web pages where each page uses its own font sizes and styles, but not for a file manager where the same font size is used in all directories. Therefore you normally set the font size once, and then leave it like that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I agree that fontsizes should not change.
But it would be very nice if Thumbnail size could be more dynamic.
omdawe

Post by *omdawe »

I agree i would not use it alot for the fonts. But sometimes i would, when i use tc on BIG screen!. But your right its not a biggy. but for the thumbnails i would love it and use it every day!
Gil Carrick

Re:

Post by *Gil Carrick »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2010-05-13, 16:01 UTC This zooming is useful with Web pages where each page uses its own font sizes and styles, but not for a file manager where the same font size is used in all directories. Therefore you normally set the font size once, and then leave it like that.
I am sorry to read that from you. Wait until you are 75 and your eyesight isn't what it used to be. It's very useful on a laptop or any small screen to be able to zoom out and find what you are looking for and then zoom in to cut it out, edit it, or whatever. I do this all the time in other applications.

In addition, as the original question explained, it is now common practice on much other software, so it is coming to be expected behavior. Excel, Word, Adobe Acrobat, etc are neither browsers nor image applications and they all include this function.

It is clear that the program can handle font size changes because it works through the menu. So the code it there to do the function. Please reconsider your answer. Perhaps have a poll?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Font/Tumbnails size with Scroll button

Post by *Usher »

2Gil Carrick

Now you can:
  • define separate settings for each screen size (logical, in pixels);
  • create shortcuts to call TC with separate screen settings for different display device size (physical, in inches).
Just close TC before each change. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to run all over your home and connect here and there. ;-)
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
omdawe

Post by *omdawe »

*Usher Ok, but that don't really do what i asked for. As i dont want my thumbnails to be 300x300px when im using the computer. But if i got a client sitting next to me and they want to see the thumbnails bigger. https://files.fm/u/cfk5un87 here is how it works on Windows Exploder!
Mr. X

Post by *Mr. X »

Apologies for kicking an older topic.

CTRL + Mousewheel option to zoom in and out would be very welcome. I use this a lot on my PC. Sometimes I need a broad overview and sometimes I would like to easily read the filenames. When you get older and your eyes cannot accomodate as well anymore this is extremely helpful.

I'm afraid that simply setting a bigger font is not achieving the same thing.

Competing programs like XYplorer do offer this functionality and it is something I would expect in 2022. I hope Mr Ghisler will reconsider and investigate the possibility to add this in upcoming version.
Danny_S_Cz

Post by *Danny_S_Cz »

Hello.
I thought that the thumbnails could pop up in a new mini window when the mouse hovers over the file.
Whether it is the mentioned images or Office files or PDF files.
So that I don't have to switch the view from Details to Thumbnails, etc.
Ghisler, would it be possible and would you put it as an optional feature in the next version of the program?
Thank you for the answer and possibly for the implementation of this function in the program.
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Gil Carrick, Arlington:
Wait until you are 75 and your eyesight isn't what it used to be.
You could not put it better Sir.