Python compability?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sybariten

Python compability?

Post by *sybariten »

Hi
I'm currently trying to learn Python as a first (uhm well almost) programming language.
I suppose theres no way of making TC plugins through python?
I guess theres the option of having python installed and just running them through python, transparently. But it'd be even cooler to be able to distribute plugs to anyone.

peace
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't think that you can create DLLs with Python, right?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Yep, it's possible. Python is like VB in that respect. I've got no idea how to do it but I know you can, you can create both executables and dlls.

Cheers.
sybariten

Post by *sybariten »

Well to my big surprise i got the program finished just the way i wanted it, and to my (even bigger) surprise its quite easy to convert a python program like this to a standalone Windows exe. So. Now i need to intergrate it into TC. This is a rather simple console/DOS application, that takes a complete filename (preferrably with full path) as input... could anyone give some hints on how i put it in TC, with maybe a hotkey..?
sort of like when you press F4 and get to edit a file.

peace
sybariten

Post by *sybariten »

OK hmm i solved that one without too much hassle, just put it in the Start Menu and now it works like a charm through a hotkey.
However.
On my firs posting in this thread, someone replied "dont think its possible to make DLLs in python".... i started thinking about this, and i realized that i dont know the definition of a "plugin" in TC. Does it have to be a DLL? Why? I guess what i'm running here is just an external program....