TC main window title - needs to have licensee name ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ono

TC main window title - needs to have licensee name ?

Post by *ono »

Hi,

I've tried to find out how the hell I can get rid of my name in main program title. Well I would like it not to be displayed cause I'm travelling trought airports and so.. and many ppl can look on my screen.. and know my name :?

So I've a big ask (for Christian) to have main window title customisable.. like actual path instead of that license name.

Thanks,
TC Personal license #99581
Clo

Re: TC main window title - needs to have licensee name ?

Post by *Clo »

ono wrote:Hi,

I've tried to find out how the hell I can get rid of my name in main program title. Well I would like it not to be displayed cause I'm travelling trought airports and so.. and many ppl can look on my screen.. and know my name :?

So I've a big ask (for Christian) to have main window title customisable.. like actual path instead of that license name.

Thanks,
:D Hello!
I think that your name is in the registration key... which is encoded indeed.
:( So, it seems difficult to make this customizable currently.
:idea: A suggestion:
you could ask for changing that key to the Author; for instance, to display your Company-name instead yours?
Frendly regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2003-12-24, 07:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Maybe the simplist way to hide your name is, let it shows "NOT REGISTERED" in main window title, temporarily.;)
Lion

Post by *Lion »

I'd like the option to hide my name from TC's caption too. And I'm not a paranoid :)
"It's all very simple: In a white cloak..." - M. Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita.
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

I'm agree, i hate it. :roll:
Clo

Looks "poor"!

Post by *Clo »

Raymond wrote:Maybe the simplist way to hide your name is, let it shows "NOT REGISTERED" in main window title, temporarily.;)
:D Hello Raymond!
¤ I thought to this too, but if it's your Customer who sees it, that looks "poor"!
¤ But it's good if it's your Boss: a reason to ask for a pay-rise :lol:
¤ The most stupid solution:
* Place a black tape at the top of the screen!
8) Friendly regards,
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Clo

Tastes and colours---

Post by *Clo »

Lion wrote:I'd like the option to hide my name from TC's caption too. And I'm not a paranoid :)
You have certainly good reasons for this!
:mrgreen: However, in the opposite case... For instance: my son is very proud to show his name in the title-bar, when playing in a big LAN-session!
:twisted: His screen is a permanent reproach aimed at the boors who use TC for years freely above the trial-period, or worse: "cracked".
:roll: So, tastes and colours...
:) Friendly regards,
Claude
Clo
Nightburn

Post by *Nightburn »

This is kinda how I feel .....

Why punish the people who purchased TC? When the people that use the cracked versions display whatever text they want in the Title Bar.

If the Title Bar did become customizable I would like to see options similar to what mIRC has. With % variables for current dir, path, left and right window pane, TC version, license name, and of course most anything else that would be reasonable to display in the titlebar.

This could be a feature that is completely disabled if TC is not registered :)
Lion

Post by *Lion »

Nightburn
Completely agreed!
"It's all very simple: In a white cloak..." - M. Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita.
jb

Re: TC main window title - needs to have licensee name ?

Post by *jb »

ono wrote:I've tried to find out how the hell I can get rid of my name in main program title. Well I would like it not to be displayed cause I'm travelling trought airports and so.. and many ppl can look on my screen.. and know my name :?
Good point! This is also a new argument for the topic of mine that is referenced below ... :)
ono wrote:So I've a big ask (for Christian) to have main window title customisable.. like actual path instead of that license name.
Basically I agree, but I would prefer titles like "D:\Data\OldStuff\ - TC 6.01" (reverse order) or "[2] D:\Data\OldStuff\ - TC 6.01" in case of multiple TC instances. This way the most useful information comes first and "Total Commander" is abbreviated. See topic "Little suggestion: More informative TC window name" for details.

Maybe this feature should be supported only for registered copies of TC. So the psychological pressure of "NOT REGISTERED" is preserved (in addition to the nag screen).
Last edited by jb on 2003-12-24, 17:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Clo

Yes, but---

Post by *Clo »

>>>Nightburn
This could be a feature that is completely disabled if TC is not registered
Yes, I agree in that case...
:? ...but it'ld need (logically...) that the validation-codes for that feature be in each <wincmc.key> file... Actually, there are something like ~ 100,000 licences, so: 100,000 different <wincmc.key> (maybe a few less, but much more computers because the multiple-licences for Companies and similar...)
:cry: That'ld be a huge mess to change the whole keys...
:idea: The Author could make a tool, allowing to add this new feature in any key, the said tool being reachable for registered users only - like the possibility to write here in this Forum-. :?:
What do you think? That should worth a poll, I think ?
:roll: Another idea :?:
:) Best friendly regards,
and Merry X-Mas!
Claude
Clo
Nightburn

Re: Yes, but---

Post by *Nightburn »

Clo wrote:>>>Nightburn
This could be a feature that is completely disabled if TC is not registered
Yes, I agree in that case...
:? ...but it'ld need (logically...) that the validation-codes for that feature be in each <wincmc.key> file... Actually, there are something like ~ 100,000 licences, so: 100,000 different <wincmc.key> (maybe a few less, but much more computers because the multiple-licences for Companies and similar...)
:cry: That'ld be a huge mess to change the whole keys...
:idea: The Author could make a tool, allowing to add this new feature in any key, the said tool being reachable for registered users only - like the possibility to write here in this Forum-. :?:
What do you think? That should worth a poll, I think ?
:roll: Another idea :?:
:) Best friendly regards,
and Merry X-Mas!
Claude
Clo
I don't see why validation codes would need to be added to the key file. It's simple programming:

If registered Then
enable feature
ELSE
disable feature
Clo

Not so simple...

Post by *Clo »

Nightburn wrote: "I don't see why validation codes would need to be added to the key file. It's simple programming:... "
jb wrote: "Maybe this feature should be supported only for registered copies of TC. So the psychological pressure of "NOT REGISTERED" is preserved (in addition to the nag screen)."
:D Hi!
¤ To add the feature-codes themselves into the key-file seems secure, and matches with that jb has written...
:wink: Moreover, Christian G. could add here some cute codes to recognize false keys, causing that the bothering-screen be displayed still!
:roll: Not so simple... I'll ask for tips to programmer-friends a bit later; actually, they are under their fir-trees! :lol:
:) Friendly regards,
Clo
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Hi Clo,

I still don't see why the key file should be modified....

Currently
- TC read the key file,
- if a valid key file is found it display the name found in this file in the title bar
- else display NOT REGISTERED.

Improvement,
- TC read the key file,
- if a valid key file is found, check the user preferences
- display user preferences in the title bar (could be nothing, the license name, whatever the user want).
- else display NOT REGISTERED.

It would just be nice to have a new option in the configuration window to configure what we wanna see in the title bar.
Alain
Alejandro Muñoz

Post by *Alejandro Muñoz »

As a temporary (or definitive, you decide) solution, you can use CapTime, a freeware program that changes the title of the active window and can also remove or replace parts of it.

It can be downloaded from: http://kobi.virtualplastic.net/progs/index.html

Best regards.