TC main window title - needs to have licensee name ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jb

Post by *jb »

Lefteous wrote:What about a compromise? The registration name is appended implicitly to the user defined window caption; example: - C:\Windows - Total Commander 6.01 - Bill Gates
The ini file setting for this could be:
Caption=%CURRENT_PATH% - %APPNAME%
Yes, I think that's basically a good compromise, but I would prefer very much to split off the variable part of %APPNAME% into something like %VERSION%. This gives more flexibility. For example you could define

Caption=%CURRENT_PATH%\ - TC %VERSION%

leading to

C:\Windows\ - TC 6.01 - Bill Gates

Note:
1) Some space dedicated to the current path can be regained by abbreviating "Total Commander" to "TC".
2) According to TC's conventions directory names should end with a \ to distinguish them from file names.
Clo

Relax :) ...

Post by *Clo »

>>> Lefteous
"....C:\Windows - Total Commander 6.01 - Bill Gates...."
<HUMOUR>
:P Do you think that Mr. Guillaume Grilles (oups! Bill Gates, it's my translation-mania, sorry) could be a TC user here?
8) Maybe well hidden under an innocent nickname?
</HUMOUR>:lol:
Friendly,
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2004-01-01, 22:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

No, Bill Gates uses Linux :lol:
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Clo

Partially...

Post by *Clo »

Aezay wrote:No, Bill Gates uses Linux :lol:
:D Hi!
Partially true: at the Summer-worms disaster time, I heard that MS had installed servers under... UNIX! :lol:
:) Cheers!
Claude (whom just ends an "add-RAM party!)
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Krawhitham

Post by *Krawhitham »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, the name in the title is the only "copy protection" Total Commander has - it's kind of a psychological copy protection. :)

I don't like programs which are locked to a certain PC, or which are time-limited (limited to x days of operation is OK), but no protection at all would also mean no sales. So far this strategy has been very successful, so I don't plan to change it.
I paid for a licence # but I used a cracked version on my laptop for this very reason. I use to use the licenced version on my laptop but sometime back I was a little freaked out when the guy next to me refered to me by my name and started asking questions
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

When I was registering my Windows Commander ( I think it was Version 3.1) I asked not to use my name in the Key but to register it to "Uschi & Oscar" (the name of my dogs). That was no problem. Maybe Mr. Ghisler gives to registered user another key with a name you preferred to be displayed on the window caption - possibly for a small fee for the additional work.

sheepdog
Lion

Post by *Lion »

Well, it's offtopic, but...
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
"It's all very simple: In a white cloak..." - M. Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita.
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC main window title - needs to have licensee name ?

Post by *Vansumsen »

"I've tried to find out how the hell I can get rid of my name in main program title. Well I would like it not to be displayed cause I'm travelling trought airports and so.. and many ppl can look on my screen.. and know my name :? "

Simple trick waiting one other solution: Move your "wncmd.key" from the directory of TC to an other one just before to quit your home... or when you are travelling et put it again in TC when you are back home...
Clo

Inconveniences---

Post by *Clo »

2Vansumsen
Simple trick waiting one other solution: Move your "wincmd.key" from the directory of TC to an other one just before to quit your home... or when you are travelling et put it again in TC when you are back home...
Hi (again), bonsoir,
:roll: It's simple, but has some inconveniences too...
Please, read the post I wrote as a reply to "Raymond", page # 1 of this thread (with a pinch of humour inside, it's often my trade-mark!)
Friendly, cordialement,
Claude
Clo
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BTW: How about moving the window a bit up so that the title bar isn't visible anymore?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 09:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ono

Post by *ono »

Hi,

I'm the topic starter.. and I see that this came back like boomerang.
Well I'd like to emphasize my personal opinion about that again.

I'm happy to see.. from the new thread that somebody has similar feeling about going out with the laptop.
I'm really working a lot in TC as a PHP, C++ programmer. And many times I'm travelling by train or plane.... And for God's sake why I need to show up my name to some guy sitting next to me. Even I don't have funny name neither don't need to anonymous but it makes me feel incomfortable.

For me this discussion is kind of pointless... this is MUST be feature to turn off that riddiculous name in titlebar. There're some software standards about that around the world and really most of the applications fit them.

I payed for the TC because I wanted to reward the author for great software he did... and the explanation that some user will share their keys with the others if there's no NAME COPY PROTECTION is so soooo stupid I can't stand it.

If there's a BSA control on your company/officy/apartament/computer they for sure will find out if you're the proper owner of the license or not even there's no superb NAME COPY PROTECTION - so there's about box (like in every application) where you can see licensse name.

I hope that author will change mind and make us more comfortable with TC.

Thanks,
TC Personal license #99581
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 11:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cray

Post by *cray »

Not the explanation is stupid. It is feared that this explanation isn't untrue and is a grain of truth.
FUD. I can't believe people would still argue for the excellence of this "protection". I agree that it might have had a some what boost of sales in the "before time" (before Internet wasn't so easy accessible) when the "protection" was implemented. But today, getting crack is so easy that even people without half a brain can even get a hold of it.
That's real life and people are different. The world isn't black and white only - there are rainbow colors.
Hitting the bong, are we? :lol:
Boah

Post by *Boah »

I haven't got this problem myself, because my copy is registered for the company I work for, but I see the problem for people travelling. However, I wouldn't like my name being so obvious to anyone sitting beside or behind me.

I cannot see why the displaying of the name in the title bar should not be at the very least customisable (even if it defaults to on, and even if it is a 'hidden' power-user feature) as people have suggested. Then those who are registered and wishes to remove the username could do so. As for psychological protection, I do not believe that seeing your name (or the company name) in the title bar protects Total Commander at all. Having the registration information in the About box is the standard and, I think, sufficient.

The unregistered version obviously should still show the "NOT REGISTERED." I think this is all the psychological protection you get, because as people have mentioned already, getting a pirated version or a crack is very easy in these Internet days. (And this is something that must be pissing Herr Ghisler off, to say the least.)

On a side-note; the fact that Total Commander is a "non-intrusive" application in its trial version and in fact remains fully functional even after the trial period is something Christian deserves credit for.

Cheers,
Svein.