Feature request: display and modification of junctions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

reinstein

Feature request: display and modification of junctions

Post by *reinstein »

It would be a great help if Total Commander will recognize junction directories, and will be able to
- show/modify their destination,
- remove them,
- create new ones.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2reinstein

I support this suggestion.

Recognize junctions: I don't know if it's possible to distinguish an existing junction from a mount point. All files owning the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT are currently displayed with an arrow icon.

show/modify their destination: This would be a great feature, but I don't know if this is possible. I will do some investigations.

- Remove them: Junctions are currently removed just like ordinary directories. I think it's ok this way.

- Create new ones: Im currently using "Junction" from Sysinternals to create junctions. It works fine, but of course I would to see this as a core TC feature.
My suggestion for creating junctions in TC is an additional checkbox named "create junction" in the cm_CreateShortCut dialog, that can be checked only, if the selected entry is a directory.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2003-12-30, 12:12 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Basiltoo

Post by *Basiltoo »

Please define a junction for me!
Regards,
Baz
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Basiltoo wrote:Please define a junction for me!
This can be found on the sysinternals homepage:
Win2K's version of NTFS supports directory symbolic links, where a directory serves as a symbolic link to another directory on the computer. For example, if the directory D:\SYMLINK specified C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 as its target, then an application accessing D:\SYMLINK\DRIVERS would in reality be accessing C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. Directory symbolic links are known as NTFS junctions in Win2K. Unfortunately, Win2K comes with no tools for creating junctions - you have to purchase the Win2K Resource Kit, which comes the linkd program for creating junctions. I therefore decided to write my own junction-creating tool: Junction. Junction not only allows you to create NTFS junctions, it allows you to see if files or directories are actually reparse points. Reparse points are the mechanism on which NTFS junctions are based, and they are used by Win2K's Remote Storage Service (RSS), as well as volume mount points.
Basiltoo

Post by *Basiltoo »

Many thanks. Does this also apply to XP's NTFS?
Regards,
Baz
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Basiltoo

Yes, it does. Windows XP is based on Windows 2000.

I created a "Junction" buttonbar button:

This is my parameters entry: ?%T%N %P%N
jb

Post by *jb »

Lefteous wrote:- Remove them: Junctions are currently removed just like ordinary directories. I think it's ok this way.
Do you mean deleting only the junction (sort of enhanced directory shortcut) or also the target directory? The latter may be an option if the junction is the only one pointing to the target directory.
Is there a junction count (link count) in the target directory?
Lefteous wrote:My suggestion for creating junctions in TC is an additional checkbox named "create junction" in the cm_CreateShortCut dialog, that can be checked only, if the selected entry is a directory.
Yes, great idea! :)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2jb
Do you mean deleting only the junction (sort of enhanced directory shortcut)
Yes, only the junction is deleted.
or also the target directory? The latter may be an option if the junction is the only one pointing to the target directory.
Good idea.
s there a junction count (link count) in the target directory?
I don't know.