wish: more than 2 panes (dynamically)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

haram

wish: more than 2 panes (dynamically)

Post by *haram »

hi all

i will repeat my idea about splitters in tc (mentioned and remained unanswered in old forum). often 2-pane view of tc isn't enough for me - i need to work with sereral panes, e.g. when i copy or compare files between two panes and decide to run a programm from another folder.

now i can do one of the following:

a) jump back and forth in folder history;
b) run another instance of commander;

and both ways are not convenient. there was another solution suggested in the past - to use tabs in tc's window (each tab to have 2 panes) and switch between them. but this differes from what i am suggesting since it doesn't show more than 2 panes at a time (hence, doesn't allow to copy files easily between any couple of panes).

it seems to me more useful to allow dynamically add/remove additional panes (but not remove last 2 panes ;) ), so being able to work in more advanced mode (at least i need 3 panes too often, and sometimes (but very rare) even more). any arguments against?

regards,
aram
Last edited by haram on 2003-02-07, 05:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hi,
Just in case you haven't read this page yet - http://bearfacts2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9 .

HTH
Roman
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Roman, the link doesn’t seem to work! I’m getting an: “The connection was refused when attempting to contact bearfacts2.com” error on my browser (Netscape v7.0).

Oh! And one more thing. Can you start a new thread about TCME including a link to your tool as well, please? By the way I got an email notification for a reply on that old thread (don’t know if it was you) but I didn’t had the chance to read it after the system crash of the old forum. So, if you had any news for us, please, start a new thread! Thanks!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Roman, the link doesn’t seem to work! I’m getting an: “The connection was refused when attempting to contact bearfacts2.com” error on my browser (Netscape v7.0).

Yeah, it seems the whole site is down. If it doesn't get better until Monday I'll ask Zeus what the matter is.

Oh! And one more thing. Can you start a new thread about TCME including a link to your tool as well, please?

I will, I just want to fix some old bugs and release beta3, presumably on Monday, though not sure.

By the way I got an email notification for a reply on that old thread (don’t know if it was you) but I didn’t had the chance to read it after the system crash of the old forum.

Crap, and it was such a long post.

HTH
Roman
haram

Post by *haram »

Hacker wrote:it seems the whole site is down.
then could you please tell in short about arguments of that discussion, and alternative suggestions, while that forum is down?
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

>Hacker
>Crap, and it was such a long post.

That’s why I always follow the method: Type your post in Word, copy/past it in a post, save it in temp folder for a week or so! ;)

Why don't you follow Christians suggestion and retrieve the information by setting your browser off-line and checking if the post is still there from cashed files!

I personally cannot try that as my cashed files are dated a week before the system crash of the old forum! :(
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
albel

Post by *albel »

2haram
That's Great you've repeated the topic here! I also need this feature.

2Hacker
The link is still broken :-( Could you, please, post here some info about multiple panels in TC, if you've got it?
Innuendo

Don't lose hope

Post by *Innuendo »

Christian has said he is going to seriously consider adding some sort of feature such as this.

We may not get it, but when Christian says he's going to seriously consider something he gives it long & fair consideration. He won't dismiss it without good reason.
haram

Re: Don't lose hope

Post by *haram »

Innuendo wrote:Christian has said he is going to seriously consider adding some sort of feature such as this.
great! i hope he'll find this feature worth to add ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Panos,
That’s why I always follow the method: Type your post in Word, copy/past it in a post, save it in temp folder for a week or so! ;)

Well, I usually just copy it, then submit and see if it worked. If not, I go back, paste, and try again. But I don't store posts...

Why don't you follow Christians suggestion and retrieve the information by setting your browser off-line and checking if the post is still there from cashed files!

I can try, but I've been to eforum.de so many times that I think the files in cache have been overwritten many times... I can check the cache, anyways.

haram, albel,
The forum is online now.

HTH
Roman
haram

Post by *haram »

unfortunatelly, multipane view really breakes source/destination ideology ;( and i see no way to combine them together...

but one imrovement still may be done: everything remains the same, but copy, move and similar dialogs add recently visited folders to their combo boxes, so the user can easily chose the folder right from the dialog, rather than going back to the destination folder. seems simple and useful, and addresses main problem i needed multipane for.
soreno

Post by *soreno »

I'll post my visualization of the tabbed total commander concept - looking at the logfile it was an often visited file (from the old forum) on my home page, perhaps someone finds it interesting.

Image: http://www.soreno.dk/images/tab_totalcmdr.png
(060503 - Updated to correct link)
Last edited by soreno on 2003-05-06, 08:41 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
gasper

Post by *gasper »

2soreno
Link dosn´t seem to work?
soreno

Post by *soreno »

Works fine at my workstation. Perhaps you browser doesn't support png images ?

You could try to save the target and use an alternative viewer (irfanview).
soreno

Post by *soreno »

Ahh - sorry, I renamed the file from "tab_wincmdr.png" to "tab_totalcmdr.png". I must have had the image in cache.
:-)