Strange errors on system exit (WinXP SP3)

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Strange errors on system exit (WinXP SP3)

Post by *fenix_productions »

I have recently installed Service Pack 3 for Windows XP on my work PC and TC started to show strange error messages when I am closing my system.

Few of them (one after another while I click on OK button):

Code: Select all

---------------------------
TOTALCMD.EXE - Application Error
The instruction at "0x04dceab4" referenced memory at "0x07e3e3ad". The
memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
OK   Cancel

The instruction at "0x04e7d253" referenced memory at "0x099cd9ac". The

The instruction at "0x04dceab4" referenced memory at "0x083763ad". The
Amount of error messages (and instructions numbers) is completely random, sometimes there is only one window, sometimes - many. After continuous OK-clicking messages stop to appear and my system closes.

Since it is corporate computer I wonder: could the sole reason be the fact that there are many monitoring applications installed?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What version of TC do you use? These don't look like the usual TC error messages...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

ghisler(Author) wrote:What version of TC do you use? These don't look like the usual TC error messages...
7.56a with many plugins.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a strong indication that the error isn't happending in TC itself. My guess is that it's caused by some Explorer extension which isn't fully compatible with SP3.

Please try if you get this error only after using the right click context menu in TC. You may need to try this with several files, because some shell extensions are loaded only for certain file types.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2ghisler(Author)
The only difference between work PC and home PC (in terms of Shell extensions) are: WebEx and MCAfee menu items. I've tried these with many files and no problems occurred.

I was also trying to replicate issues by running different applications and I can only say that if Adobe Bridge CS5 is started on my PC during my work, an error is more likely to happen on system shutdown later on. It may be strange coincidence though.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you tried to disable just these two with ShellExView?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2ghisler(Author)
This error is very hard to reproduce and happens randomly, so the only thing I can check is to play with shell extensions and my laptop shutdown. But after numerous clicks for WebEx/McAfee menu items and ShellEx configuration changes (W+M-, W-M+, W+M+, W-M-) nothing happened. Not even single error.

This issue definitely needs some specific steps to be taken but I couldn't hunt them down. Error messages don't appear on demand :(

The only thing which came to my mind was Adobe Bridge tip but after working with if for few days (this tool is very bad) it seems to be a dead-end. I was also browsing through system logs and found VPN software issues listed there but none of them were critical (time differs).

On the other hand I think that mentioned shell extensions has nothing to do with my bug because I have almost never used them. I very rarely use right mouse menu at all thanks to Internal Associations. Keeping in mind that this is my work machine, software updates come very rarely due to corporate rules and only two situations have happened recently - SP3 and Adobe CS5 suite installations.

I think we can skip it for time being until I find the way to reproduce everything.