Larger icons for Total Commander 2.52 Beta 3

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cbmvic20

Larger icons for Total Commander 2.52 Beta 3

Post by *cbmvic20 »

Hi Christian,

Many thanks for your time and effort in developing such a wonderful tool. Total Commander 2.52 Beta 3 works perfectly on a 320x320 square resolution under Windows 6.5.3 however the icons are not very finger friendly. I realise this is older software and just wanted to ask you a few things:

1. The icons at the top right for the back slash and the two dots are very close together so it's dificult to chose one without hitting the other by mistake. For example, if I am in the registry and several directories deep, I often end up hitting the backslash by mistake because it's too close to the dots. So instead of going up one directory, I end up going right back to the top. Is there any way of making these two icons much bigger and spaced apart?

2. Is there any way to customise the icons on the bottom toolbar so they are also bigger and more spaced apart? The "Finger-Friendly distances" under the Show - About/Settings menu doesn't make any difference on my 320x320 resolution. And setting the View Mode to "Large Icons" only affects the actual file icons (which are great!) and not the icons in the bottom toolbar.

3. The popup box for copy/move files has the old style design for use with a stylus design. It'd be great if this could be changed so it's more finger friendly like the Total Commander menu's!

4. Version 2.52 Beta 3 has been in beta for a while now. I realise you've moved onto Android and just wanted to ask if there are any plans to release a final version of Total Commander for Windows 6.5.3. since that's the last version of Windows Mobile.

Many thanks again for all your time on this wonderful app.

Regards,

Vic
Dr.Verdi

Post by *Dr.Verdi »

Unfortunately i think this is another example how Android displaces the Windows Mobile software. :(
Grüsse

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. You can hold down the finger on any of the three to open the dropdown menu, which is much easier to use by finger.

2. No, unfortunately not, larger icons would not fit on the small screen.

3. I will check that

4. Indeed it's about time to release that as a final version...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
cbmvic20

Post by *cbmvic20 »

Many thanks for the reply.

Regarding 1, yes can hold down your finger which has the same action as long as you don't let go but because the icons are so tiny, if you move off the one you click (e.g. from back slash to dots) it carries out the default action of tap for that control.

The icons for Back Slash and Two Dots are so tiny that it's impossible to use with finger or even fingernail! It would be much easier if the smaller back slash and two dots icons were replaced by one big fat icon that can be pressed easily with a finger that does following:

Tap: shows drop down menu with \ .. Hide Exit options
Hold down: shows drop down menu with \ .. Hide Exit options but if none is selected, does nothing (i.e. keeps you wherever you are instead of returning to root or up one level)

Regards,

Vic
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows Mobile was created for usage with a stylus/pen. Even Microsoft noticed that the user interface isn't really suited for using with the fingers, so they created something new (Windows Phone 7). Unfortunately the new system is similarly restrictive as the Apple iOS system, so a file manager doesn't make much sense. That's why I moved to Android.
jcm

Post by *jcm »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Windows Mobile was created for usage with a stylus/pen. Even Microsoft noticed that the user interface isn't really suited for using with the fingers, so they created something new (Windows Phone 7). Unfortunately the new system is similarly restrictive as the Apple iOS system, so a file manager doesn't make much sense. That's why I moved to Android.
Hello,

Will there finally a definitive version of this excellent program for Windows Mobile?. I have the latest beta since it appeared on the forum (before I used the older versions.)

I am still using the Windows Mobile, I like a lot, and I also my 2 devices work perfectly.

One question, taking this question: I notice that copying an area of the Windows Mobile registry is enough to copy the folder that appears in "\ \ EXT-> Registry" in a memory card, leaving with the "reg ". I guess if I would like to restore the registry data from that area will suficiete to run this file "reg", right?... as in the Windows PC. Is that me very well as a backup of a game of solitaire that I have, and that saves the data items in the Windows registry.

Greetings and thanks,
JCM
Nokia Lumia 1020 / Windows Phone 8.1 Denim
ASUS F555L / 12GB RAM - 1.5TB DD / Windows 10 Home 64x
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, there will be a final version - just use beta 3, all my public betas are released in a stable way (others would give them major release numbers :) ).

Yes, you can restore the registry by copying the reg file to the open registry plugin.
jcm

Post by *jcm »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, there will be a final version - just use beta 3, all my public betas are released in a stable way (others would give them major release numbers :) ).

Yes, you can restore the registry by copying the reg file to the open registry plugin.
Hello,

Yes, these betas are stable, and the Total Commander program is excellent, I use it for many years on my PC (purchased a license for many years) and on my mobile device ... essential for me. I've used in parallel for a time the Resco Explorer, and I had to do without that program. It was good but not better than Total Commander. In addition, and ignored the plea, but I irreversibly damage 2 memory cards SanDisk 8 GB MicroSDHC (the Resco Explorer, officially purchased), at the time that I was using (and use it well), whereas I have NEVER Total Commander had a problem.

But it would be nice to have the final release.

On the subject of backup of a Windows registry zone Mobile, which is a file extension "reg"in the PC is simply click on it and when running integrates into the Windows registry. "In the case of Windows Mobile does not have to click on this file, but copy it into the area was in the record?. I have not understood the process to restore this part of the record, obtained with the Total Commander.

Greetings and thank you for this wonderful program (for PC and WM),
JCM
shazmani

Post by *shazmani »

thanks..
jcm

Post by *jcm »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, there will be a final version - just use beta 3, all my public betas are released in a stable way (others would give them major release numbers :) ).

Hello Ghisler,

When is the final version of this excellent program?. I use TC on my PC and my WM daily ... essential to me is the best application I know of this, and I've tried everything. I use CT in these two operating systems (on the PC now W7, and the mobile WM 6.1 Pro).

Regards,
JCM
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Difficult to say, I'm currently busy with preparing the public beta release of Total Commander for 64-bit Windows.