Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tcg

problem when moving big files (>4gb) on network drives

Post by *tcg »

my configuration:
1) desktop with win7-64bit
2) linux server with smb (ubuntu 9.10)
3) linux server with smb (ubunto 10.04 lts)

when moving files >4gb from server A to server B tcmd copies only the first 4gb, then asks "overwrite file ?" and then moves again the whole file. the resulting file seems to be ok...
reproducable only with 2 different servers, works well if file is moved on the same server ?!?

edit:
when moving the 1st time no update is done on the progress bar (always 0%), when moving the 2nd time the progress bas works well
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

moving files >4gb from server A to server B
You cannot copy/move a file directly from server A to server B.
For this action server A needs to know your logon credentials of server B. (which it hopefully doesn't have)

To overcome this lack, TC copies the file from server A to your local PC and copies it again from your PC to server B.
If all works well, TC deletes (in case of move) the file from server A.
#5767 Personal license
tcg

Post by *tcg »

hi,

to calrify:
server A is mapped to a netword drive (R: ), server B to another network drive (S: ), both drives are "connected" (with credentials).
if i move from, lets say R: to C: it works, if i move from R: to S: i have this strange behaviour: 1st tcmd copies 4gb and then the whole file...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How about copying from C: to S: ? Maybe S: uses a FAT32-Formatted disk? It has a maximum file size of 4GB-1.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tcg

Post by *tcg »

hi,

S: (and R: too, but on a 2nd server) is an ext4-formatted drive on my linux server exported via samba.
copying from C: to S: (or R:) works perfect, copying back from S: (or R:) to C: also works fine, just copying from S: to R: (or vice versa) has this strange behaviour. as i said before, it works, but it copies 2 times: 1st the first 4gb, then the complete file (after asking to overwrite the 4gb file).

i just did some more tests, strangely right now it works like expected (only 1 copy/move operation)... since both servers do >100mb/sec (over gbit lan) its not to much work to do more tests to find out the real reason.
very strange ! at least i dont get data corruption / data loss ;-)
until now i did not get an idea about the reason (copy/move/in root dir/in sub dir/...)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's indeed very strange. Maybe a virus scanner on the client is interfering?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com