tcmdx64.exe running wild

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mbruehl

tcmdx64.exe running wild

Post by *mbruehl »

Winddows 7 64bit
Totalcommander 7.56a

When using the context menu, tcmdx64.exe starts. The exe never stop running thenceforth using one CPU by 100%! I doubt it actually needs to use that much CPU time. However, the problem is, the fan has to run permanentely now to avoid an overheating of the CPU caused by the CPU usage of tcmdx64.exe.

Is there something I can do to fix this, or could this be solved by the next update please?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Well, that doesn't happen here. tcmdx64.exe starts, but the CPU usage goes down to 0 after a few seconds. You probably have a bad Shell Extension running that causes tcmdx64.exe to behave this way.

Search this forum for ShellExView, to see more about tracking down defective Shell Extensions.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
mbruehl

Post by *mbruehl »

petermad wrote:Well, that doesn't happen here. tcmdx64.exe starts, but the CPU usage goes down to 0 after a few seconds. You probably have a bad Shell Extension running that causes tcmdx64.exe to behave this way.

Search this forum for ShellExView, to see more about tracking down defective Shell Extensions.
I have excluded every Shell Extension from the contecxt menu now, but tcmdx64.exe is still running with 100% of one core if using the X64 context menu (without any Shell Extension left in that menu!). So I highly doubt that this issue is caused by a defective Shell Extension.
mbruehl

Post by *mbruehl »

Well, the problem has been solved now, at least I've found the software that can't cope with Totalcommander.

I've done a rollback of Windows 7 64bit to a point a few days ago. Tcmdx64.exe run ok after doing that.

Then I installed step by step every program again I'd installed between the rollback day and yesterday. It's HWiNFO 3.80 that causes the problem, although it doesn't install any Shell Extension. Meanwhile I've double checked this by rolling back and installing HWiNFO 3.80 again. Same trouble. So I've removed HWiNFO permanetely.

There is also a portable version of HWiNFO avaiable. I'll try this one now...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

mbruehl,
Hmm, I am using HWiNFO portable without any trouble.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will try to reproduce it, thanks for your report.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Allan

Post by *Allan »

I have similar problem.
I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
I synchronize directories:
one on USB HDD
and second on NAS (WD Sharespace).

Comparing goes well, but when I select list of compared files (sometimes more then 1000) and choose to delete files on USB drive troubles shows up.
When deleting starts CPU usage increases and slowly going to 100% (after deleting a few hundreds files). If I stop deleting files, cpu usage stop on current level and not going down, only if I close TC cpu usage going to normal level.
If I don't stop deleting computer hangs.
I have avast antivirus.
I try it on TC 7.56a and on x64 8.0RC2 - no differences
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Alan.
I have similar problem.
Based on the details of your report I tend to say that your problem is caused by a different reason. In particular, tcmdx64.exe is not involved in your case at all.
I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
[...] when I select list of compared files (sometimes more then 1000) and choose to delete files on USB drive troubles shows up.
When deleting starts CPU usage increases and slowly going to 100% (after deleting a few hundreds files).
Please, check your wincmd.ini. Look for the entry VistaDelete.
In T.C. 7.56a if VistaDelete is not present at all in the section [Configuration], then add VistaDelete=1 and restart T.C. 7.56a. If it is present make sure it reads VistaDelete=1 and restart T.C. 7.56a if you changed the value.
In T.C. 8.0rc2 if VistaDelete=0 is present in the section [Configuration], then change it to read VistaDelete=1 and restart T.C. 8.0rc2.
Deleting a large number of files and folders should now be much faster than before and cause much less CPU spikes than before.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song