If you’re addicted to TC (like me) it must be really painful to have to stay with the old primitive way of file browsing for more than ten hours a day. Yes, I’m talking about file dialogs: they are everywhere in almost all applications, very hard to use (even compared to Windows Explorer), with zero hot key support, and the browse for folder dialog is definitely one of the ugliest things on Windows…
Now the nightmare is over! Listary allows you to use TC to completely replace all file open/save and browse for folder dialogs with very simple steps:
1. After a file dialog pops up, first choose the file type filter you need as normal. Then press hot key Win + O.
2. Listary will open a new tab in TC (of your current folder in the file dialog) and apply the file type filter. Note that you need to have one TC instance running (I’m sure you do); Listary won’t open a new TC window. Now you can take all the benefits of TC.
3. After everything is done in TC, press Win + O again. The file dialog will open your selected file in TC. If no files are selected or it’s a browse for folder dialog, it will simply switch to the folder you’re viewing in TC.
In short words, Win + O & Win + O, bingo! You can change the hot key in Listary Options > Integration.
This feature supports multiple file selection if the application (the owner of the file dialog) allows you to open multiple files. Otherwise the first selected file will be opened. Note that file type filter is not supported by Microsoft Office open/save dialogs on Windows XP.
Other useful features for TC users
- After opening a file dialog, you can press Ctrl + G to let it switch to the folder you’re viewing in TC.
- After opening a file dialog, you can press Ctrl + O to let it open the focused file in TC directly (I’m feeling lucky)
- If you switch from a file dialog to TC and then switch back in whatever way, the file dialog will switch to the folder you’re viewing in TC.
- TC’s directory menu items are added to Listary favorite for quick access (from the Favorite menu on Listary toolbar or simply double-click on any part of the empty area in Explorer, desktop and file dialogs.
Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (32bit and 64bit supported)
Total Commander 7.50 (tested on all OS listed above with TC 7.56a)
Listary is intended to provide a much better and united file browsing experience for Windows users. It adds favorite, recent documents feature and a bunch of useful commands to file dialogs, desktop, utilities (like 7-Zip and FileZilla) and the most famous file managers.
You can get an overview of some basic features from the video here.
Listary is freeware for personal use only.
Don’t hesitate to reply here or contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or suggestions. I’m looking forward to your feedback!