Use TC as a shell replacement?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I also want to warn you NOT to use TC as the shell. Why? TC doesn't contain any code to work as the shell. The 16-bit version did to replace program manager, but TC does not, because many programs just expect Explorer during installation and also later, e.g. for the taskbar.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jaguarist

Post by *Jaguarist »

2C Ghisler

Thank's for your input!! The more I study up on replacement shells, the more I realize the fact that I should just probably leave well enough alone! :shock:

I may go into one of the other OS's I have installed on this machine, just to experiment with LiteShell, but for now, I have made the decision that I shall not mess with WinXP Pro's native shell.

A strong man knows his limits, and I know mine well enough!! :wink:

Thanks for a superior program!!

Namaste

Jag
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

You can always visit Choose Your Shell, which has pretty good reviews of some of the more popular shells. It's a bit dated, but browsing through it tells me that it seems valid!

I advice you to actually try to use an alternative shell, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the experience eventually. Just remember to read the docs ;)
license #76904
Jaguarist

Post by *Jaguarist »

TucknDar wrote:
I advice you to actually try to use an alternative shell, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the experience eventually. Just remember to read the docs ;)

Oh, as I already said, I've used other shells in the past, just not on WinXP, which as we know, has a filestructure and habits all it's own! :lol:

I'll cruise over to the link you gave me, and see what they say regarding WinXP, and shells that are compatible. As far as reading the docs.... well, that's a lesson I learned early on in my computer life.... As opposed to some folks, I always RTFM. Not that I always understand what I read, but I do read... :wink:

Namaste

Jag
djek

Blackbox

Post by *djek »

I use blackbox for windows
http://www.bb4win.org/news.php

Just read around a little.
Blackbox uses plugins and one of the plugins is called BBDDE.dll
It lets you keep your drag and drop functionality.