Synchronize dirs doesn't show differences cos of wincmd.ini

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Guillaume

Synchronize dirs doesn't show differences cos of wincmd.ini

Post by *Guillaume »

When comparing two directories (which have are almost identical) it happens frequently that TC skips some files completely.

For example, I have a file in one directory which isn't in the other, TC simply ignores this one.

Now I have installed a clean TC installation and did the same thing: this time the differences between the directories were recognized!

I figured this would mean the wincmd.ini file was screwed up, so I compared the two files on anything with 'sync'. I came up with these two values:

syncflags = 5
syncbutton = 31

When removing both, the comparison went perfectly again. Now, my questions are: What's wrong with the two values above, what do they mean? And if they lead to an incorrect comparison, how can they possibly be saved to wincmd.ini by TC like this?
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

I think they define the config of the buttons in the "Show" groupbox
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

Aezay wrote:I think they define the config of the buttons in the "Show" groupbox
But these buttons were all selected, so that wouldn't be the problem. I tried unticking all and restart TC, then re-ticking them. But it wouldn't help. Only removing these values from the ini-file solved the problem.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Guillaume,
Form TC's Help file:
SyncButtons=63 This saves the state of the buttons in "synchronize dirs". It's the sum of:
1: Left to right
2: Equal files
4: Not equal files
8: Right to left
16: Duplicates (present on both sides)
32: Single files (present on only one side)

SyncFlags=1 Remembers the last settings for 'Synchronize dirs'. The following constants are added:
1: include subdirs
2: compare by content
4: ignore date of files
8: asymmetric mode
Maybe your wincmd.ini was somehow write-protected for TC?

HTH
Roman
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

No, my wincmd.ini file wasn't write-protected. Very strange that both of the values I had have no meaning at all. How come TC wrote an illegal value to its ini-file?

Currently, the values are set this way (TC automatically wrote these values to wincmd.ini):

SyncFlags=7
SyncButtons=50

How come?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, if you read my post or TC's help file carefully, you will see,

"This saves the state of the buttons in "synchronize dirs". It's the sum of:"

and

"SyncFlags=1 Remembers the last settings for 'Synchronize dirs'. The following constants are added:".

So SyncFlags=7 means the flags 1 (include subdirs), 2 (compare by content) and 4 (ignore date of files) are set.
SyncButtons=50 means single files (32), duplicates (16) and equal files (2) are shown.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

I'm sorry, I didn't read your careful enough. Funny though, I never touched the 'Duplicates'/'Single files' buttons (they were always on), but somehow 'Single files' was disabled:

1: Left to right
2: Equal files
4: Not equal files
8: Right to left
16: Duplicates (present on both sides) +

Thanks, hope it doesn't spontaneously occur again, but at least I now know exactly what to look at :)