FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mame

Post by *mame »

Flint wrote:This option is set for each image separately, and by default it's turned off.
Yes. Just I didn't like the idea of a missing DLL from drive G:\ lurking in startup, cause it's there even I'm not mounting anything. I'm just avoiding an error possibility.

EDIT:
Confirmed, v1.3.3.5300 in HKCU - rundll32 "G:\Totalcmd\plugins\wfx\VirtualDisk\VirtualDisk.wfx",MountAfterReboot

Flashdrive G: running portable TC, mount some image, unmount, delete. Registry still there.
G: most probably won't be available anymore during windows startup, while rundll32.exe will try to run it anyways...
Flint wrote:disabling the very possibility of auto-mounting (that is, not creating the autostart entry at all)
Exactly :D TYVM. It's settled then.
I hereby claim copyright to this message you are now reading,
and for that you owe me a $1 royalty fee each time you read this.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Unfortunately, my work on the version 2.0 goes too slowly. I wanted to release it as the first 64-bit version, but I see that it will take much more time than I hoped. So I decided to rebuild the version 1.3.3 of the plugin for x64 architecture and update the package now. The download links remain the same as earlier (first, second).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Oesie

Post by *Oesie »

Just installed the plugin but how do I mount it with Total Commander?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Oesie
Please, take a look at the ReadMe files in the Descript subdirectory. I didn't write them just to improve my typing skills…
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Oesie

Post by *Oesie »

Flint wrote:Oesie
Please, take a look at the ReadMe files in the Descript subdirectory. I didn't write them just to improve my typing skills…
My apologies, I missed that section somehow :oops:
Working flawlesly :D
V.V.

system - logical device

Post by *V.V. »

5. Подключённый диск не виден программами, которые получают список дисков из списка системных устройств. Это связано с тем, что новый диск не является системным устройством, а виден только как логический диск.

And no way to fix this? So pitty...
V.V.

Post by *V.V. »

"5. The new drive is not visible for programs that get drives list from list of system devices. This is so, because this new drive is not a system device but just a logical drive. In future versions I'll try to add creation of the appropriate system device."
Sorry for quoting Russian help.
In English, it sounds more promising. Is any progress/hope there?
Otherwise - great program, thank you.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

V.V. wrote:In English, it sounds more promising. Is any progress/hope there?
Unfortunately, no. It requires advanced driver programming knowledge (which I don't have) or switching from FileDisk to a different similar project that would implement such feature (which would require much work to learn the new driver's interactions and reprogram the plugin to support it). Both these alternatives are not in my nearest plans, sorry.

PS: The difference between English and Russian descriptions is accidental. I probably just forgot to compare them after editing.
V.V. wrote:Otherwise - great program, thank you.
You are welcome. I do wish I had more time to spend on this project… :(

rainer.wendland

Post by *rainer.wendland »

I just installed the plugin 1.3.3, copied the amd64 driver into the drivers-folder of system32 and double-clicked the reg-file.
By copying an iso-file into the plugin-folder and mounting as cd/dvd, this error-message occured in vlc-player:
File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "Virtual Disks\STARDUST_GR.iso". (Bad file descriptor)
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///Virtual%20Disks/STARDUST_GR.iso'. Check the log for details.
What is this about? Any solution?
herzliche Grüße
Rainer
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

rainer.wendland
"Virtual Disks" is a virtual folder, how could VLC know that there is such folder somewhere within TC created by some TC-specific plugin? You should never pass virtual paths into external applications, they won't understand them.

Mounting an image is creating a new system drive assigned to the letter of your choice (for example, Z:). You should use this new drive after mounting.

rainer.wendland

OK, thanx for quick answer. You're right, with Z and the contained videa_ts - file the video is played by VLC.
But still not by WinDVD.
Up to now I used another tool called VirtualCloneDrive, and the same iso-file is recognized by WinDVD. The file is put into the virtual drive directly. So its little different to the behaviour of Your plugin, isn't it?
Any idea about that?
herzliche Grüße
Rainer
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

rainer.wendland
I don't know how WinDVD works, neither how VirtualCloneDrive, so I cannot tell what's wrong. I can only guess that maybe VirtualCloneDrive emulates hardware device, and WinDVD requires it for playing DVD, while my plugin's driver emulates only virtual volume without any physical device to back it.

rainer.wendland

Yes, it is said that VirtualCloneDrive has a behaviour like a physical drive.
Q: is it difficult to change your driver's behaviour, emulating a physical drive as well?
herzliche Grüße
Rainer
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

rainer.wendland wrote:Q: is it difficult to change your driver's behaviour, emulating a physical drive as well?
Actually, I don't know. I'm not very good at driver programming, and all I did for the plugin was minor adjusting the open source driver project (filedisk) to my needs. Adding a physical device might require changing the whole driver structure.

rainer.wendland

So there is no open source project containing what is needed for emulating physical drive?
herzliche Grüße
Rainer