Upd: DBLister v1.1 released

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ctiberg

Upd: DBLister v1.1 released

Post by *ctiberg »

We've updated our DBLister plugin to support listing Access databases (*.mdb).

Through the use of File DSN's, you can now also use it to list any ADO compatible ODBC database, such as MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL and gazillions of others.

Download it from http://www.commsoft.nu/startdl.php?program=dblisterwlx
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Boom!

The new dbLister plugin crashes TC 6.01 as soon as I do a QuickView on any Access97 or Access 2002 database.

TC closes cleanly all by itself, though.

The plugin works fine with dbf files.

Windows XP Pro, with Access XP and Access 2003 installed. Latest Jet service pack, too.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

JohnFredC wrote:Boom!

The new dbLister plugin crashes TC 6.01 as soon as I do a QuickView on any Access97 or Access 2002 database.

TC closes cleanly all by itself, though.

The plugin works fine with dbf files.

Windows XP Pro, with Access XP and Access 2003 installed. Latest Jet service pack, too.
Hm.. We'll look into it.. But how does it work in the usual lister (F3)?
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

can you use direct links to download? I cannot add your plugin to wincmd.ru
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

But how does it work in the usual lister (F3)?
Identical behavior.
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

JohnFredC wrote:
But how does it work in the usual lister (F3)?
Identical behavior.
Hmm.. One last check - the application, does that one too have the same problem? That is, if you start dblister.exe and view the table through that?

The reason for all the questions is that we don't have Access 2003 available for testing...
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

Ergo wrote:can you use direct links to download? I cannot add your plugin to wincmd.ru
No, I'm afraid not. That's one of the disadvantages with the system we're using... Just place a website link instead, is my suggestion... That's what most sites do...
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

Today I tested AlbumPack. I am afraid I cannot list your plugins at wincmd.ru so far as they are very unstable :( You'd better to concentrate on one or two plugins rather than to produce 6 "under construction" plugins.
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

Ergo wrote:Today I tested AlbumPack. I am afraid I cannot list your plugins at wincmd.ru so far as they are very unstable :( You'd better to concentrate on one or two plugins rather than to produce 6 "under construction" plugins.
That might well be so, although we've received some great praise from people using our plugins too..

As you can see from our site, and the price of the plugins, this is in no way our main interest. We're mainly porting things used internally to plugins.
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

One last check - the application, does that one too have the same problem? That is, if you start dblister.exe and view the table through that?
I am happy to report (I think) that the standalone version works perfectly.

Or does that just make matters worse?

:?
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

JohnFredC wrote:
One last check - the application, does that one too have the same problem? That is, if you start dblister.exe and view the table through that?
I am happy to report (I think) that the standalone version works perfectly.

Or does that just make matters worse?
:?
Hmm.. Perhaps not worse.. But stranger :( This seems to mean that it's not DBLister on it's own that fails... The 'application' is only a small stub, that calls the same DLL that TotalCmd calls, albeit in a slightly different manner...

We're not really sure about how to fix this one, since we haven't got Access 2003 handy. It might even be a stumper :(

The only recommendation to you is to install the application (as per the readme file), then right-click the Access-file and choose View in DBLister instead of bringing it into the lister...
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

Ergo wrote:Today I tested AlbumPack. I am afraid I cannot list your plugins at wincmd.ru so far as they are very unstable :( You'd better to concentrate on one or two plugins rather than to produce 6 "under construction" plugins.
Please start a new thread, or reply to the update announcement, and we'll be glad to try to solve your problems there :)
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

We're not really sure about how to fix this one, since we haven't got Access 2003 handy.
It doesn't matter what version of Access the MDB is in... the plugin fails in QuickView regardless of database version.

You can download the latest Jet version from Microsoft...

I put together an MDB TC plugin myself the other day using public domain DAO components. It doesn't have nearly the features of yours, but works properly in QuickView everywhere I have tried it, so I'm OK for now.

Cheers
La Laucha

Post by *La Laucha »

Really great PlugIn and very useful but ...

from my point of view it´s really delicate to use this kind of plugins. MS itself has problems to develop Office being compatible to all versions.
So my questions are:
How can this small PlugIn do this ? How does it work ? Does it use the Office methods when it writes back the data in to the database ? Actually it´s not a reader. Can I be sure that problems relating to this PlugIn don´t affect the database?
Sometimes I´m asking myself why Christian don´t update some small wishes, which really seem to be solved easy and quickly - but afterwards I realize how many things he needs to think of and how many problems could appear in different enviroments no one has thought of. His programming has always been well thought. I really appreciate u´r work but I need to know this because I have to do with lots of sensitive data and I can not be responsible for this datebases getting corrupt.
If I´m wrong please correct me and I will be sorry for this question - I´m not a programmer.
Andreas
licence #: 101358
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

For access databases, we're using ADO - that's the same engine that Access itself uses. So there should be no safety problems there...

For other database formats, we use either Borland Database Engine or FlashFiler, which is equally safe.

Overall, any program could corrupt a database, including Access and others.

Overall, using our plugin for read-only access shouldn't be dangerous in any way.
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg