Fails to load second time...?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gromits

Fails to load second time...?

Post by *gromits »

I have recently upgraded my PC and decided it was a good time to put version 6 on.
The first time I loaded it, no problem. Second time I tried to load it, nothing happened, not even a splash window. I put 5.51 back on and that works fine.
I've since, re-formatted my machine. Even with a totally clean machine, version 6 will not load for a second time. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

My PC spec is as follows:
Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394 mobo.
AMD 2500+ barton
Hercules 9800SE AIW
512 RAM (Crucial)
Eagle ATA133 PCI Raid
160Gig SATA Maxtor
120Gig ATA133 Maxtor
80Gig ATA133 Maxtor
60Gig ATA133 Maxtor
40Gig ATA133 Maxtor
Sony CDRW

Gromits.
Windows XP Home
Clo

Hidden ?

Post by *Clo »

:) Hello !

¤ Mysterious issue!
• Maybe a stupid idea: are you sure that TC isn't sent to the system-tray?

• It could be hidden there... And not restarted whether the option "Allow only one copy... " is ticked in the setting page "Operation".
• I guess also that something is locking a restart in Windows, since TC might restart the same session when it's in the system tray (if it's).
• Try Alt+Tab, to see what programs are running in background...

:mrgreen: Kind regards
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
gromits

Post by *gromits »

It is set to system tray (one copy only), but its not running when i try to load it. There is def something holding it off. I have nothing else running at the time. I was wondering if it could be a display driver, not happy with the new tabs in TC? I love em, great idea. Just cant load the program to use them.
If i reinstall TC over the top again, it works for the first time again, but no more. Have to keep reinstalling to use it more than once.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you have the option "only one copy of TC" set? If yes, TC will not start if the first instance is hanging on shutdown. Some Explorer right click menu extensions can hang TC forever on shutdown, because Explorer is never terminated, so these shell extensions don't have a correct unload function...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gromits

Post by *gromits »

Yes that is set. I install TC, run it (no probs), then exit TC and run it again - nothing. just sits there as if I have not clicked the icon. Really wierd.
Clo

Similar thing...

Post by *Clo »

2gromits
:) Hi again!
• Just another idea: what does happen when you quit Windows ?
¤ Recently, I'd a program which was not launched by its icon, the same than your issue. I tried several times... invisible in the task-bar... (XP-Pro)
* But when I closed Windows, I'd n... messages asking for a termination of that program! I ought to put off the power-supply, because that came back endlessly.

¤ Other: what does occur if you attempt to launch <totalcmd.exe> from the Explorer ?
• Glad to hear the continuation - should help the Author to solve the issue-.
:mrgreen: K R
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

gromits wrote:Yes that is set. I install TC, run it (no probs), then exit TC and run it again - nothing. just sits there as if I have not clicked the icon. Really wierd.
When you've terminated TC an think it's closed- open task manager and look if there still TC has a thread.

sheepdog