[TC8ß10 x32]: Confirmation: deleting non-empty directories

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Evds

[TC8ß10 x32]: Confirmation: deleting non-empty directories

Post by *Evds »

Get confirmation before deleting non-empty directories is checked.

When i delete a non-empty directory windows shows a confirmation dialog but after that dialog i don't get a dialog that say's that it's a non empty directory like when tc shows the confirmation dialogs.

Win 7 x32, TC8ß10 x32
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Evds.

Please, check the section [Configuration] in your wincmd.ini file for the parameter VistaDelete. Either you will find VistaDelete=1, i.e. use the VistaDelete method on Windows Vista or newer. Or you will not find the parameter at all. As you are using Vista or newer, Windows 7, and as your Windows recycle bin does ask for confirmation before deleting to the recycle bin, Total Commander 8.0 beta now uses VistaDelete=1 as its default value.
This has been done because using the Total Commander delete method can be terribly slow and use an enormous amount of system resources on Vista an newer.
Side effect: VistaDelete=1 hands over the delete process to Windows. Windows, however, will only ask for confirmation once, even if you are about to delete a folder which is not empty. Windows simply moves the complete folder(tree) to the recycle bin.
In order to find more details on VistaDelete, you may use the forum search and search for the string VistaDelete.

In short words:
The behaviour which you see is no Total Commander bug. It works as designed.

Kind regards,
Karl
Evds

Post by *Evds »

Hi Karlchen,

I did already read some topics concerning the VistaDelete solution and i agree with the implemented solution but nonetheless i'm missing the extra dialog stating that it's a non empty directory.

Would it be possible that tc shows the confirmation dialogs and that afterwards tc launches the windows delete process ?

Another small question concerning the delete process:
On my local drive i get a windows confirmation dialog when i delete a directory but on my network drive i get a confirmation dialog from Total Commander. What could be the reason for that ?

Best regards,
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortuantely this function cannot work with VistaDelete.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

Should this thread not be moved to the "Fixed Bugs" section? - Trying to delete a non-empty folder in T.C. 8 with VistaDelete enabled will produce two separate confirmation dialogues. So the reported misbehaviour has been double-fixed.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed this has been added, thanks for confirming! TC is asking for confirmation before deleting anything at all, not before each directory is deleted (which isn't possible with VistaDelete).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com