Folder size is not calculated after background operation

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Stedronsky

Folder size is not calculated after background operation

Post by *Stedronsky »

After starting an action on background (copy, move), TC no longer calculates folder size on pressing spacebar or Ctrl+Shift+Enter. To be more precise, it displays question mark and starts calculating, but never finished it. This problems continues even after finishing background operation. It is neccessary to restart TC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This means that the background thread is busy with something else. It's also used to extract icons and copying thumbnails. I guess that the latter is the case on your system, e.g. when copying many image files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Stedronsky

Example

Post by *Stedronsky »

Example
After copying 539 ARW files, 2 JPG files and 23 MTS files from SD card:
Image: http://stedronsky.cz/downloads/archive/TC_folder_sizes.png

It is about 40 minutes and it is not working.

Configuration:
Intel Core i7-2600
16 GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

What icons or thumbnails are created in this case? Thumbnails for MTS (AVCHD video)? Even with list with details only? (BTW, in Explorer it takes no more than 2 minutes.)
Stedronsky

Automatic calculation

Post by *Stedronsky »

Automatic folder size calculation before copying folder is still functional:
Image: http://stedronsky.cz/downloads/archive/TC_folder_sizes_2.png

I presume it is a different thread.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Automatic folder size calculation before copying folder is still functional:
This isn't done in a background thread. Sorry, I have no idea why the thread is hanging on your system.
Stedronsky

Post by *Stedronsky »

I will try find more precisely conditions when this is happening.
cwahlgren

Post by *cwahlgren »

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same problem that the folder size is not calculated when pressing space bar. I haven't either concluded in which situation this is happening, but I'm a heavy user of TC and I haven't seen this behaviour in previous releases. After restarting TC the folder sizes are getting calculated correctly. This is 8.0b12.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I too have met with this problem, but like other users here was not able to find out any way of reproducing the issue…
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please let me know if you find a possible reason - so far I couldn't reproduce this problem here.
Stedronsky

Post by *Stedronsky »

It seems that calculation doesn't work while copying data to a USB flash drive. But not always. After TC restart it behaves correctly. So some accomplice is on the scene... detective story continues.
chanlibell

Post by *chanlibell »

Hi dear friends

i have same promlem , when i do cut or copy action in QUEUE mode ( with F2 key ) calculation doesn't works while copying or moving have finished Although in these times i can calculate the folder size with properties function in right click

i haven't seen this problem in 7.56a version and see only in 8 version ( from beta 1 to 16 )
petrol

Post by *petrol »

It happened to me, too and went away by disinstalling (including configuration) and reinstalling. It happened to me on multiple computers (I am an IT service man).

P.S. CTRL+S works even shift+alt+enter shows only "?"-s
sambuca

Calculating space does not work after repeated F2 copy/move

Post by *sambuca »

I have the same problem. I am working on a Synology NAS with the NAS volume mapped as a network drive in Windows (/photo = W:\), but I am not sure if that is the cause of the problem. Going by the feedback of others this happens on different storage forms (HD, USB stick, etc.) also.

Anyway, I have seen this issue on different versions of the beta, including the latest, 18. I am cleaning out my NAS, by finding dirs which take a lot of space (using space, or the "calc space of dirs" button on the button bar). Then I delete or merge (copy or move) these maps with duplicate maps. When I move or copy, I usually use the F2 queueing mode.

When I start working the calculate space option works just fine, but after a certain number of F2 copy/move operations, the calculate space option stops working, even when I am not copying or moving anymore. The question marks appears where normally <DIR> stands, but I don't get the green arrows in the map icon anymore and just nothing happens. Even on maps which normally take 0.1 second to calculate (5Mb or less) nothing happens, even after waiting several minutes. Like I said, at that moment all copy/move operations had ceased and my computer just sat there idle-ing / doing nothing. Not workload what so ever.

I will try to take some screenshots when this happens to determine of some services it taking up a lot of CPU power or if anything else strange happens.

Afterwards I will also try the solution of un-installing and re-installing the program, to see if this fixes the problem.

Until then, Christian, let me know if I can do some diagnostics to help you find the cause of this problem.

My email is: davevandongen___at___hotmail___dot___com

Thanks for your attention, good luck with nailing this issue and greetings!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please try this: In Configuration - Options - Icons, set option "Only standard icons". Then please check whether the error still occurs.

The problem is that something is hanging the background thread which is loading icons and calculating the disk space, but I have no idea what is causing it. I do not have this problem on any of our computers.
sambuca

Post by *sambuca »

Forget to mention, I am on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (On Athlon X2 64 bit processor, 2Gb of RAM).

I just reproduced it. I just continued with my NAS storage clean up. First everything working fine. Totalcmd had a processor load of around 5% when calculating dir space. Then I was vigorously comparing, deleting, copying and moving files between different volumes on my NAS (drive V to drive W, etc.).

After about 10 F2 copy/move operations, suddenly the calculate space thing didn't work anymore. Again only the "?"s and no green arrows. With "Esc" the question marks went away. While it was trying to do the calculation ("?"s marks showing) the processor load of Totalcmd was between 0% and 1%, so really nothing was happening.

What more diagnostics can I provide to help? Please advice.

Greetings! :)