FTP plugin - Open file

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gmx-ghisler

FTP plugin - Open file

Post by *gmx-ghisler »

Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the great file eplorer you created.

I found a small issue with the FTP plugin for TC on Android. When accessing my library over FTP I can't open any files (books, videos and so on), As a workaround I have to copy them locally and then open them afterwards.
Unfortunately, this is not the case when using other File Explorers (e.g. ES File Explorer).

In my opinion there should be an easy fix for this:
The path to the file should be passed to the application (or player). In case of a FTP file should look something like:
ftp://host:port/path/file
or
ftp://user:pass@host:port/path/file

If the player can access the path it should be fine. If not it should report an error.

Please let me know if you need more details from my side.
Many thanks!
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: FTP plugin - Open file

Post by *JOUBE »

gmx-ghisler wrote:over FTP I can't open any files
This is by design of the file transfer protocoll. Transfer in this case means copy. So, this "can't open" is not an issue of Tc for android.

What you may want is a streaming server on our library. Then clients like media-players can access and open(!) files from the library directly. This is completly independent from Tc for android.

Or you may use the LAN-Plugin (with SMB protocoll) to map your library as a folder.

JOUBE
gmx-ghisler

Post by *gmx-ghisler »

I see. Then, ES File Manager includes also a streaming server.
Seems I'll have to use 2 file managers after all.

Thank you for the info!
gmx
Zygus

Re: FTP plugin - Open file

Post by *Zygus »

JOUBE wrote:
gmx-ghisler wrote:over FTP I can't open any files
This is by design of the file transfer protocoll. Transfer in this case means copy. So, this "can't open" is not an issue of Tc for android.
Yes, but it doesn't mean that author couldn't automate a few operations. I don't know like android, but under windows it is the same behaviour. Under windows CTRL+N allow You to enter remote file name, and TC working like wget can fetch file to your HDD. But due to way it manage ftp protocol, when under CTRL+N You put direct path to file like f*tp_://ftp_com/myfile.pdf TotalCommander won't fetch the file, and when serwer doesn't allow to log user actively in, only fetching files, TC is completely useless, when wget or firefox can fetch the file without problem.
Ah, I forgot, everything is by the design...