This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? 
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Total Commander für WindowsPhone 8

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Pocket Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Henri31
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 07 Feb 2004
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Total Commander für WindowsPhone 8 Reply with quote

Hallo Herr Ghisler,

nachdem nun seitens MS bekanntgegeben wurde, dass WP8 den gleichen Kernel besitzt wie Windows 8 stellt sich mir nun die Frage ob sie den TC für WP8 ebenfalls anbieten werden.
Der Aufwand soll laut MS nicht so groß sein.

Freundliche Grüße
Henri31
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hacker
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 10683
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri31,
Hätte wahrscheinlich keinen Sinn.

Roman
_________________
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Henri31
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 07 Feb 2004
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacker wrote:
Henri31,
Hätte wahrscheinlich keinen Sinn.

Roman


@Hacker
Warum?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hacker
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 10683
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri31,
Weil Windows Phone 8 keinen Zugriff auf das Dateisystem erlaubt, soweit ich weiss.

Roman
_________________
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Feb 2003
Posts: 34715
Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja, genau so ist es leider - deshalb bin ich auch von Windows Mobile zu Android gewechselt. Auch wollte ich mir die Appstore-Gängelung nicht antun. Aus dem gleichten Grund wird es auch keinen Total Commander für Windows 8 RT (für ARM-Prozessoren) geben.
_________________
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ricsip
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Ja, genau so ist es leider - deshalb bin ich auch von Windows Mobile zu Android gewechselt. Auch wollte ich mir die Appstore-Gängelung nicht antun. Aus dem gleichten Grund wird es auch keinen Total Commander für Windows 8 RT (für ARM-Prozessoren) geben.


Sorry to switch this conversation into English (I didnt see any note this is a german topic):

I would really like to see an RT version of Totalcommander. I feel literally naked on any platform not having TC, I really hope you'll change your mind soon. I dont care if I have to buy it separetely for RT, that tool is one of the very few I was happy to spend money on, as I am using it since.. actually I cannot remember how long Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Feb 2003
Posts: 34715
Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually written (just for fun, and to learn C#) a Windows Metro version of Total Commander, but I will probably not publish it. There are just too many problems, so it would get bad reviews and drag down the Windows version too. Here are the problems I have encountered:

1. You cannot start other apps or programs from these touch apps. A button bar would therefore be useless

2. The Sockets library for internet connections is severely flawed. For example, when you upload a file, and then close the connection, the upload doesn't complete. It seems that Windows sends a RST (connection reset) package when closing the socket instead of doing a graceful shutdown. To prevent this, TC has to wait 1 second after each upload before closing the socket to ensure that the upload completes (but even then it's not guaranteed).

3. The asynchronous file functions are just horrible to use. Background operations (or multiple in parallel) aren't possible at all.

4. There is a lot of wasted screen space when you follow the design guidelines. Microsoft will refuse apps which do not follow them.

5. I have a Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) tablet now for testing, but I'm almost never using the apps, I do most on the traditional desktop. This works surprisingly well with the DPI settings set to 200% (it's a full hd 11.6 inch display). Therefore I'm currently optimizing the Windows version to work better with such high dpi and touch displays.
_________________
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ricsip
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghisler(Author) wrote:
I have actually written (just for fun, and to learn C#) a Windows Metro version of Total Commander, but I will probably not publish it. There are just too many problems, so it would get bad reviews and drag down the Windows version too. Here are the problems I have encountered:

1. You cannot start other apps or programs from these touch apps. A button bar would therefore be useless

2. The Sockets library for internet connections is severely flawed. For example, when you upload a file, and then close the connection, the upload doesn't complete. It seems that Windows sends a RST (connection reset) package when closing the socket instead of doing a graceful shutdown. To prevent this, TC has to wait 1 second after each upload before closing the socket to ensure that the upload completes (but even then it's not guaranteed).

3. The asynchronous file functions are just horrible to use. Background operations (or multiple in parallel) aren't possible at all.

4. There is a lot of wasted screen space when you follow the design guidelines. Microsoft will refuse apps which do not follow them.

5. I have a Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) tablet now for testing, but I'm almost never using the apps, I do most on the traditional desktop. This works surprisingly well with the DPI settings set to 200% (it's a full hd 11.6 inch display). Therefore I'm currently optimizing the Windows version to work better with such high dpi and touch displays.


I can understand your concerns here. Thats indeed a difficult story. Actually I meant the tradtional desktop version of TC running on Surface, not the Metro-style version. Surface can have a keyboard and USB mice, so the desktop version can still function as a special PC-like device. Also I think this release should have a definitely limited feature-set, dropping some of the advanced stuff like for example removing networking capabilities (no FTP, etc.) no parallel running tasks. At least a simple 2-panel file manager would be enough.

If somebody is looking for TC under windows RT, that means the person is way over the avarage tablet-user and can understand and accept the limitations of the software on this particular plarform.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hacker
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 10683
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricsip,
Quote:
If somebody is looking for TC under windows RT, that means the person is way over the avarage tablet-user and can understand and accept the limitations of the software on this particular plarform.

Like no access to the file system?

Roman
_________________
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ricsip
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacker wrote:
ricsip,
Quote:
If somebody is looking for TC under windows RT, that means the person is way over the avarage tablet-user and can understand and accept the limitations of the software on this particular plarform.

Like no access to the file system?

Roman


There is absolutely no access to the file system for apps under Windows RT ? I hardly doubt this, can you show any proof of this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hacker
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 10683
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricsip,
I think each app has its own sandbox to play. I don't have any proof.

Roman
_________________
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Feb 2003
Posts: 34715
Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually I meant the tradtional desktop version of TC running on Surface, not the Metro-style version.

Sorry, Microsoft does not allow third party desktop programs on Windows RT tablets like the surface. You will need the Surface PRO.

Quote:
I think each app has its own sandbox to play. I don't have any proof.

Not true - the user can allow access to a directory on the harddisk, e.g. c:\, and this will grant the app access to all subfolders too! Unfortunately the same isn't supported on Windows Phone.
_________________
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ricsip
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Quote:
Actually I meant the tradtional desktop version of TC running on Surface, not the Metro-style version.

Sorry, Microsoft does not allow third party desktop programs on Windows RT tablets like the surface. You will need the Surface PRO.

Quote:
I think each app has its own sandbox to play. I don't have any proof.

Not true - the user can allow access to a directory on the harddisk, e.g. c:\, and this will grant the app access to all subfolders too! Unfortunately the same isn't supported on Windows Phone.


Thanks, I made some investigation regarding this topic, and I also found that no access is given for 3rd parties to the desktop of RT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Pocket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Impressum: This site is maintained by Ghisler Software GmbH

Using phpBB © 2001-2005 phpBB Group