Total Commander für WindowsPhone 8

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Henri31

Total Commander für WindowsPhone 8

Post by *Henri31 »

Hallo Herr Ghisler,

nachdem nun seitens MS bekanntgegeben wurde, dass WP8 den gleichen Kernel besitzt wie Windows 8 stellt sich mir nun die Frage ob sie den TC für WP8 ebenfalls anbieten werden.
Der Aufwand soll laut MS nicht so groß sein.

Freundliche Grüße
Henri31
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Henri31,
Hätte wahrscheinlich keinen Sinn.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Henri31

Post by *Henri31 »

Hacker wrote:Henri31,
Hätte wahrscheinlich keinen Sinn.

Roman
@Hacker
Warum?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Henri31,
Weil Windows Phone 8 keinen Zugriff auf das Dateisystem erlaubt, soweit ich weiss.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ja, genau so ist es leider - deshalb bin ich auch von Windows Mobile zu Android gewechselt. Auch wollte ich mir die Appstore-Gängelung nicht antun. Aus dem gleichten Grund wird es auch keinen Total Commander für Windows 8 RT (für ARM-Prozessoren) geben.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ricsip

Post by *ricsip »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Ja, genau so ist es leider - deshalb bin ich auch von Windows Mobile zu Android gewechselt. Auch wollte ich mir die Appstore-Gängelung nicht antun. Aus dem gleichten Grund wird es auch keinen Total Commander für Windows 8 RT (für ARM-Prozessoren) geben.
Sorry to switch this conversation into English (I didnt see any note this is a german topic):

I would really like to see an RT version of Totalcommander. I feel literally naked on any platform not having TC, I really hope you'll change your mind soon. I dont care if I have to buy it separetely for RT, that tool is one of the very few I was happy to spend money on, as I am using it since.. actually I cannot remember how long :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have actually written (just for fun, and to learn C#) a Windows Metro version of Total Commander, but I will probably not publish it. There are just too many problems, so it would get bad reviews and drag down the Windows version too. Here are the problems I have encountered:

1. You cannot start other apps or programs from these touch apps. A button bar would therefore be useless

2. The Sockets library for internet connections is severely flawed. For example, when you upload a file, and then close the connection, the upload doesn't complete. It seems that Windows sends a RST (connection reset) package when closing the socket instead of doing a graceful shutdown. To prevent this, TC has to wait 1 second after each upload before closing the socket to ensure that the upload completes (but even then it's not guaranteed).

3. The asynchronous file functions are just horrible to use. Background operations (or multiple in parallel) aren't possible at all.

4. There is a lot of wasted screen space when you follow the design guidelines. Microsoft will refuse apps which do not follow them.

5. I have a Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) tablet now for testing, but I'm almost never using the apps, I do most on the traditional desktop. This works surprisingly well with the DPI settings set to 200% (it's a full hd 11.6 inch display). Therefore I'm currently optimizing the Windows version to work better with such high dpi and touch displays.
ricsip

Post by *ricsip »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have actually written (just for fun, and to learn C#) a Windows Metro version of Total Commander, but I will probably not publish it. There are just too many problems, so it would get bad reviews and drag down the Windows version too. Here are the problems I have encountered:

1. You cannot start other apps or programs from these touch apps. A button bar would therefore be useless

2. The Sockets library for internet connections is severely flawed. For example, when you upload a file, and then close the connection, the upload doesn't complete. It seems that Windows sends a RST (connection reset) package when closing the socket instead of doing a graceful shutdown. To prevent this, TC has to wait 1 second after each upload before closing the socket to ensure that the upload completes (but even then it's not guaranteed).

3. The asynchronous file functions are just horrible to use. Background operations (or multiple in parallel) aren't possible at all.

4. There is a lot of wasted screen space when you follow the design guidelines. Microsoft will refuse apps which do not follow them.

5. I have a Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) tablet now for testing, but I'm almost never using the apps, I do most on the traditional desktop. This works surprisingly well with the DPI settings set to 200% (it's a full hd 11.6 inch display). Therefore I'm currently optimizing the Windows version to work better with such high dpi and touch displays.
I can understand your concerns here. Thats indeed a difficult story. Actually I meant the tradtional desktop version of TC running on Surface, not the Metro-style version. Surface can have a keyboard and USB mice, so the desktop version can still function as a special PC-like device. Also I think this release should have a definitely limited feature-set, dropping some of the advanced stuff like for example removing networking capabilities (no FTP, etc.) no parallel running tasks. At least a simple 2-panel file manager would be enough.

If somebody is looking for TC under windows RT, that means the person is way over the avarage tablet-user and can understand and accept the limitations of the software on this particular plarform.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ricsip,
If somebody is looking for TC under windows RT, that means the person is way over the avarage tablet-user and can understand and accept the limitations of the software on this particular plarform.
Like no access to the file system?

Roman
ricsip

Post by *ricsip »

Hacker wrote:ricsip,
Like no access to the file system?

Roman
There is absolutely no access to the file system for apps under Windows RT ? I hardly doubt this, can you show any proof of this?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ricsip,
I think each app has its own sandbox to play. I don't have any proof.

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually I meant the tradtional desktop version of TC running on Surface, not the Metro-style version.
Sorry, Microsoft does not allow third party desktop programs on Windows RT tablets like the surface. You will need the Surface PRO.
Not true - the user can allow access to a directory on the harddisk, e.g. c:\, and this will grant the app access to all subfolders too! Unfortunately the same isn't supported on Windows Phone.
ricsip

Post by *ricsip »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Actually I meant the tradtional desktop version of TC running on Surface, not the Metro-style version.
Sorry, Microsoft does not allow third party desktop programs on Windows RT tablets like the surface. You will need the Surface PRO.
Not true - the user can allow access to a directory on the harddisk, e.g. c:\, and this will grant the app access to all subfolders too! Unfortunately the same isn't supported on Windows Phone.
Thanks, I made some investigation regarding this topic, and I also found that no access is given for 3rd parties to the desktop of RT.